Dentist who pulled patient's tooth while on a hoverboard sentenced to 12 years in jail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/dentist-who-pulled-patients.html

3 Likes

Obligatory: does calling those things “hoverboards” mean we’ll never have hoverboards?

13 Likes

We already have real hoverboards.

However we aren’t going to have real practical hoverboards whether we call these balance scooters hoverboards or not.

3 Likes

In related news, there’s such a thing as “unlawful dental acts.” :cold_sweat:

13 Likes

I think the lesson here is someone who’s reckless enough to film themselves pulling a tooth while on a hoverboard is reckless enough to do much more dangerous things off camera.

17 Likes

A real hoverboard would be impossible to use anyway since you couldn’t even steer the damn thing without some kind of traction on the pavement.

I’ve been getting the feeling over the last few years that Alaska is a secret Florida, but we just don’t know it yet due to the lower population density.

9 Likes

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

5 Likes

Every day, in every way, Idiocracy becomes a little more real…

3 Likes

unlawful dental acts

In England this is an “offence against the Crown.”

I’ll see myself out, thankyouverymuch.

21 Likes

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for having a little FUN at WORK!

3 Likes

My question would be; “A doctor with no regard for the health/safety of his patients… where are the bodies hidden?”

4 Likes

Ludocrat tank. Just full of appeal.

2 Likes

A judge just sentenced Seth Lookhart, DDS, to a dozen years in prison for charges including Medicaid fraud

uh huh

reckless endangerment

tsk tsk

and unlawful dental acts.

start boiling the tar

4 Likes

Dentists are probably a weird demographic for the purposes of that question.

Most of what they do is nonlethal(though can make you wish that weren’t the case if handled wrong); with the exception of the ones who go a bit further down the anesthesiology skill tree than their knowledge and basically-outpatient level of medical support capabilities makes advisable.

The ones who are reckless/sadistic probably have a very modest body count; though a lot of ugly stories.

The ones who skew reckless/anesthesiologist, by contrast, could well go badly.

3 Likes

Heavy sentence required, I think.

Well, since no plausible technology exists for the ones shown in the movies, there’s no reason you can’t also say that the fictional technology allows for directional thrust in response to weight shift.

2 Likes

Nah, you can use ski poles to move you about.

1 Like

Ah, for that you’ll need to spring the extra cash for the “Pit Bull” model.

2 Likes

I wasn’t thinking “lost patients”, I was thinking “sociopath with no regard for his professional oath, or really the well being of other humans… Serial killer?”…

But I agree that most dental patient loss is probably anesthetic related or unexpected anaphylactic reaction to drugs, and dentists not being criticalists.

2 Likes