DeSantis' fragile ego on display as he complains about media's treatment of his wife

Originally published at: DeSantis' fragile ego on display as he complains about media's treatment of his wife | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“If she were a Democrat, she’d be on every fashion magazine,” said the unpleasant governor on the Mark Levin Show. “They would be making her out to be the biggest deal. But because we’re conservative, we know that that’s not what happens.”

Set aside the question of whether this is how women should be portrayed – as fashion extensions of their husbands – the fashion industry already has a lot of awful, horrid, “people,” featured in magazines. Do they really want another? I guess if you’re a conservative, this is what you hope women will achieve. A Vogue cover.

20 Likes

I’ll bet his favourite men’s designer is Hugo Boss.

10 Likes

What’s the obsession with conservatives seeing women on magazine covers? There was a ton of that during the last administration with complaints that Mrs. Mango wasn’t getting on as many as Michelle had been, but (of course) the ones she was on were the bestest ever.

13 Likes

How does his wife feel about this? Does SHE aspire to be the next IT Girl? or is that part of his “I-wanna-be-beloved” marketing plan, and nobody is playing along? The second the press said anything about her that was not flattering, you know he’d use it to protest how the fake press was targeting his family.

6 Likes

Wow Ron really nice how you throw your wife’s looks out there to get ripped apart. What a supportive partner you are. Hope she was ready for that…

10 Likes

It just occurred to me that with Casey DeSantis dressing like Jackie Kennedy all the time, she probably has specific, detailed, and legally questionable plans about outliving her husband.

8 Likes

To them, a woman’s beauty is her value. And a woman’s value reflects on her male spouse. So, not getting recognition for their spouse being pretty means the man is less-than.
A tidy cocktail of misogyny and toxic masculinity

In the case of DeSantis, he’s also miffed that all his wife’s work, which he obviously thinks she did for him and is undoubtedly quite expensive, is not being recognized. His wife is definitely cultivating a particular image with her fashion choices.

14 Likes

Not just Hugo Boss; a shocking number of famous fashion designers were closely associated with the fascists. CoCo Chanel, Christian Dior, Cristobal Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton to name a few.

9 Likes

She worked in local tv news. My guess is she’s been judged on her looks once or twice before, unfortunately.

Women’s value, to most conservatives, is in their looks and their ability to make babies. They are accessories and trophies.

11 Likes

Seen, not heard, right?

10 Likes

Yeah but this is politics. The things that get said about the families of politicians are like a special class of awful.

6 Likes

Are you sure about that?

Ok but may I ask you what your point is? Like why are you arguing with me? Because I said it was low to throw your wife out with a baity comment like that? Do you really disagree with that? It seems petty to enter this line of argument with me and honestly I don’t get your point.

Do you think I’m infantalizing her? Say so if you do, but please don’t make me hallucinate meaning into this interaction?

Yeah I do think the kind of commentary that will come from this specific quote of his is going to be particularly nasty.

YOU DON’T HAVE TO THINK THAT BECAUSE I DO THOUGH.

7 Likes

It’s not a mutually exclusive idea. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The left had Vidal Sassoon punching fascists though.

Our clothes may be unfashionable, but our hairstyles are good.

11 Likes

(ETA: Also @evadrepus mentioned it)
I’m told (fwiw) that all of the magazines that normally & routinely put First Ladies on the cover, refused to do so for Melania.(based only upon what I see in our mailbox, I figure they meant, for example, Good Housekeeping but they probably meant Vogue which I presume morphed into “all of them”. ) I’d guess that the DeSantises are piggybacking off this resentment.

(Edit again for typo)

6 Likes

Going back to my first reply, I directly quoted your statement, “Hope she was ready for that…”. I wasn’t arguing with you, I was just saying why I think she probably is, because she worked in local tv news (and she’s been the wife of Ron DeSantis for a minute). My next link was just to show that I don’t think the treatment of the wives of politicians are worse. Women in tv news get treated pretty shitty by the public. I’m not trying to argue with anyone. I never said families of politicians aren’t attacked. My only point is that I think she’s ready for what’s about to happen because she’s likely experienced all of it already. This is not the first time she’s been in the public eye, unlike spouses of other politicians who may have zero public exposure before their spouses run for office. That’s all. You also don’t have to think that because I do. No one has to agree with anything anyone else says.

I never said it was.

2 Likes

The media should cut her some slack. After all, she has to deal with being married to Ron. How much should the poor woman have to endure?

3 Likes

Complain about media treatment? Being his wife is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Also, no one can treat his wife worse than himself.

2 Likes