DeSantis refuses to help protect the U.S. Capitol and President during State of the Union address

Originally published at: DeSantis refuses to help protect the U.S. Capitol and President during State of the Union address | Boing Boing

13 Likes

how high wtf GIF

20 Likes

He’s glad to see a repeat of 6 January as long as it’s this president in office.

19 Likes

There’s like 50 other States that could, right?
Why is this important - is it just because DeSantis is a dick?

27 Likes

Ron, thanks for removing all doubts about where your fucked up loyalties lay.

23 Likes

49 other states, but yeah. This shouldn’t even be a question, deploying support from the National guard. I suspect that they call up guard from the East Coast, because it’s closer to DC…

I’m guessing that there are a lot of threats being aimed at this event, too. They probably want as much support as they can get.

25 Likes

Yes.

35 Likes

Is there a list somewhere of which states were requested and which states denied the request?

All I could find was a press release about Vermont, West Virginia, and New Jersey supplying a combined 700 troops.

Was there a reason they requested Florida?

I get DeSantis is a dick but I don’t get the whole denial thing. Why aren’t we hearing about other states denial or acceptance?

9 Likes

And he wants to be president some day?

13 Likes

There is literally no good reason to deny the request in our current situation. None. It’s a high profile event, that will have basically the entire elected federal government in one location. The ONLY reason to not send the NG is to signal to his base that he does not consider Biden the legitimate president.

Because no one else is doing it.

29 Likes

Ruh-roh, Scroooby! If ever there was a time, and a place, and a moment…fuck.

12 Likes

Keep in mind that DeSantis’ firs name is Mo.

5 Likes

If he gets there he’ll replace the Secret Service detail with a hand-picked and uniformed Praetorian Guard made up of Florida Men.

19 Likes

Was this an actual call for troops, or was this the automatic courtesy request for honor guard and color party representation?

There is a tricky line there somewhere. For some purposes, they can be called for federal service, no permission from DeSantis required, thank you very much! However, when Trump was doing his circus at the Mexican border, some states did refuse.

3 Likes

Only 3 states are sending national guard troops. So, either all other requests were denied or all states didn’t get the request.

And I wouldn’t put it past DeSantis to be lying about the request.

The whole thing seems odd.

7 Likes

No worries, Kiefer will be in a secure location.

10 Likes

Sounds like FL needs to be stripped of all the federal funding for their Guard’s training & sustainment. They want to be a Florida-Only Militia, let Florida foot the whole bill.

See how that works when hurricane season rolls back around.

11 Likes

I saw a t-shirt recently, can’t find image online, but it said “Trump/DeSantis 2024. . . Make America Florida.”

No kidding.

[ETA: so this is the pic I saw, apparently a different local Trump store. . . oy vey.]

ttrumde

14 Likes

That one sounds like parody.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, it was being sold at the (I kid you not) “Let’s Go Brandon Store.

Feel free to add your own Yelp or Google+ reviews. . . .

[ETA: to clarify, I haven’t been to this place, not sure I’d even go in out of curiosity if I were nearby, but I saw a news article where the owner was wearing that shirt.]

8 Likes