DeSantis refuses to help protect the U.S. Capitol and President during State of the Union address

Which, if true, actually strengthens my argument that it’s performative for his base. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

He is a dick, no doubt. His behavior must be called out because he is running for re-election for Governor and he has aspirations to run for POTUS. People need to see him for what he is: a racist, bigoted, homophobic, fascist. And that’s just the beginning of his flaws. He has done more damage to Florida than any recent hurricane.

10 Likes

I’m not disputing any of that, i just wondered why this Guard thing was so important when there must be other options :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

that was the plan.

11 Likes

Lets Not Pro Wrestling GIF by Ted DiBiase

7 Likes

and when my governor, the fellow death-cultist, greg abbott asked for some troops to make a performative showing at the border desantis was delighted to send them :thinking:

8 Likes

I could see that shirt for either side, honestly.

21 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

7 Likes

Episode 1 Halloween GIF by The Simpsons

10 Likes

It might be one of those things where, in a previous era, it was considered an honor to have your state represented at a Washington event, but they didn’t need personnel from all states to be there, so they have some rotating list of states to make the request of, or confer the honor upon. Or something.

2 Likes

America is in no danger of running out of dudes with guns to guard the Capitol building

5 Likes

You can see why I was confused then, right?

8 Likes

A lot of political news is just clickbait

At least this article’s headline didn’t have “Biden” or “Trump” in it

4 Likes

Sure, because the last time someone refused to call the national guard to protect the capitol went well…

6 Likes

Boy. For a governor of a Hurricane Alley state very dependent on FEMA…

8 Likes

We still haven’t done right by DC or Puerto Rico. :unamused:

7 Likes

He should be careful about that. Other leaders’ Praetorian guards haven’t always followed their employer’s orders.

2 Likes

And the next time Florida gets slammed with a hurricane and needs a taxpayer-funded rescue…

2 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The people who will suffer are not Desantis or the wealthy of FL that supports him, it will be the regular people of FL, not all of whom voted for him. All this will do is condemn people to suffering, which, frankly, I’m sick of the politics of condemning the people we’ve decided are garbage humans for where they live to suffering. Might be fucking nice if we start doing better instead and understand that programs like FEMA should not depend on the politics of the recipients, but on the fact that they are actually been impacted by events outside of their control. Let’s just stop using social programs that we all will need at one point or other in our lives as political weapons against others.

16 Likes

dog toys nodding window agreed

I don’t believe becoming as heartless as those we oppose is the answer.

9 Likes