Despite continuous prime-time attention by a fawning media, Chris Christie fails to sell over 2,500 copies of his book

I did assume they can

Those who don’t read, choose not to educate themselves or expose themselves to anything that might demand actual thinking.

1 Like

I kinda hope they DID, but with a clause that he has to pay it all back if sales fall below a given figure. Just for the hassle and embarrassment it might cause him.

4 Likes

And not a very good door stop either. It would also not make for good toilet paper. (I have standards, yo.)

2 Likes

Obviously someone forgot to alert them. I’m sure that they’ll get right on it.

4 Likes

I call that cohort “aliterate”.

Someone who is illiterate can’t read.
Someone who is aliterate can read, but doesn’t.

Of the two, only one of them is almost always a choice in Western societies.

2 Likes

Yes, all of these things - hate on NJ all you want, at least we knew that Christie, and Trump, were both crooks. Unfortunately for some, thats a reason to vote for either of them.

Christie only won the governorship by running on a “Not Corzine” platform. After that he didn’t do jack shit.

2 Likes

Not the first cult to use that strategy. Check out this article on Scientology from over 30 years ago:

3 Likes

It was easier in Scientology’s day. They knew exactly which book stores were used to tally the NYT lists, so they could skew the lists without having to buy so many books in this day of chain central inventory.

I wonder if the GOP cult mass orders boxes, then ships the boxes back to the book chains?

4 Likes

Chris Carter’s 90s TV show Millennium never grabbed the following that the X-Files did but there was one episode that brilliantly satirized Scientology (a topic most of Hollywood was still too scared to take on in 1997). In that episode it’s revealed that all members of the “Selfosophy” movement regularly buy individual copies of their founders’ books to ensure they stay on the bestseller lists for all time.

The episode was a good bit of acting by guest star Charles Nelson Reilly too.

5 Likes

That last part, I can tell you without killing.

4 Likes

North Jersey, maybe. I live in Ocean County. While they certainly don’t like Christie here, they looooooove Trump. I hate it here so much.

3 Likes

Pussy Hands!

I’m pretty sure that is how an advance works, in that it’s an advance payment, against future royalties.
If the advance was big enough he’ll owe the publisher money. Wheee! What fun that would be.

3 Likes

Silly billy, he’s supposed to buy 100,000 copies of his own book to make the best seller list.

But wowsa - only 2,500? That is unpopular.

The way I see it, the right thinks he’s too cozy with liberal media, and the left think he is a Republican scum bag, and anyone in between just doesn’t care one way or the other.

1 Like

Well, that’s not normally how it works, assuming the author kept up their side of the contract. It’s a gamble by the publisher that earnings will be at least that good, as the standard is that they eat the difference if there is one. Normally that gives them an incentive to low-ball the advance, but sometimes publishers wildly miscalculate, and every so often it seems like an author with connections deliberately gets an advance far beyond what’s reasonable, as a way of someone at the publisher funneling them money they wouldn’t otherwise get in sales.

3 Likes

I think the word you’re looking for is “doodies”.

Nah, it’s sitting on the back of the toilet as a decorative item. The library of the right.

2 Likes

Sure they love trump in Ocean County, but they still know he’s a crook.

1 Like

Books are so last century. He should have made a YouTube video instead. /s

1 Like

Deep down I want to believe some of those 2500 were bought from a wholesaler who sells books by the inch. Then HGTV designers put them on inaccessible shelves spine-inwards as non-objectionable decorations.

They might also have found a useful life as table leg levelers. They’d be slightly more durable than a wad of napkins. And they’d be perfect decor for a North Jersey bagel shop!

2 Likes

Ain’t nothing wrong with Terlit readin.

2 Likes