"Devil" shot while breaking up teen dances was indeed one of god's messengers (1922)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/devil-shot-while-breaking.html

5 Likes

The ending makes sense. The Devil wouldn’t be trying to break up teens dancing, he’d encourage them, right?

21 Likes

What they should have done instead:

8 Likes

Yeah, he didn’t think that one out.

1 Like

I understand this story as the Minister trying to break up the dance, by dressing as the Devil (in order to frighten the kids, and get them to associate dancing with evil.) Not that the character of Devil was policing the teens. (Obvz the Minister was trying to do that.)

2 Likes

but did the kid get paid? that’d be about $65,000 in todays dollars

10 Likes

And it would have worked, too, if it hadn’t been for that meddling teen.

11 Likes

“Tell me, my friend, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?”

11 Likes

z9lIbcOrF63p

10 Likes

Agreed. Also, being barn dances, they were likely to have been more secular in nature (which could have frustrated him more)?

6 Likes

Sounds like a good sequel for Footloose

4 Likes

Old joke: Why do fundamentalists forbid married couples from having sex while standing up? It could lead to dancing.

7 Likes

Q - Why do Methodists skulk around darkened doorways late at night?

A - They don’t want to be seen dancing.

ETA: I know the joke is subtle, but when it hits you, I think it’s pretty funny.

5 Likes

Yeah, cosplaying as Jesus would have been more logical, and a lot safer.

3 Likes

This is a good movie. Pretty much everyone plays against type.

3 Likes
1 Like

Origin story of why the devil went down to Georgia.

1 Like

Based on the novel written by Claud Cockburn which later lent its name to Cockburn fils’ column in The Nation.

2 Likes

I just want to know how he figured out how to “manifest in the middle of the dance floor with fire streaming from eyes, mouth and tail”…

(figure that could get me out of some unnecessary meetings…)

1 Like

I was trying to figure this out too, because it sounds like he had a promising career as a magician otherwise :stuck_out_tongue: