Do not "tip your mask" unless you want to get the rona

Some of my favorite quotes from the article:

After you tip, you should wash your hands or sanitize as soon as you can.

And when will that be if you’re out shopping? Even if they have public bathrooms, these days more than ever I make it a point to not go into a small room that dozens/hundreds of people have gone in before me.

Reverend Wonder Harris who founded the Village of A Thousand Elders explains, “if people were to commit a crime, they wouldn’t tip the mask because they’d be caught on camera.”

Or, if people weren’t there to commit a crime, they wouldn’t tip their mask because it would increase their risk of exposure. I understand from a retail cash register operator’s perspective, a bunch of people wearing masks is concerning. But isn’t it more concerning that someone who may have had the virus just lowered their mask and breathed openly in the store’s entryway?

as Pastor Harris says, "crime comes in all colors. You can’t just say that just because they’re a particular color, they’ll commit a crime. So it’s something all of us have to do. … tbc

Criminals are going to crime, no matter their color or mask status. How many shoplifters entered stores wearing masks prior to the pandemic? Isn’t shoplifting where stores see their most loss? Will tossing masks into the mix change that at all? Ah, I think I get it now. It’s like chaff. Up until now, they would just keep an eye on the shoppers with dark complexions, but now all the masks have them confused and they don’t know who to watch.

Sure, up until now someone walking into a store with their face covered outside of winter usually meant that the store was about to be robbed. But it was also usually quickly followed with a gun and a declaration that the store was being robbed. And I expect that’s still the case, even if other people in the store are wearing masks.

Has there been any study done to see if armed robbery has gone up during this, or is it just too soon for data?

“And It’s not just using old standards and ideas and we can’t have a peaceful society to do it that way.”

Wait, what? I can’t even parse that sentence. We can’t have a peaceful society to do it what way? Is he saying that if people don’t lower their masks, chaos will reign?

The Village of a Thousand Elders say they worked with local health departments on the initiative to make sure it’s safe.

I request proof. I know that’s a lot to ask of a church. Still.

I also hope this doesn’t catch on, but stupid seems to be as viral as the virus, so I expect it will.

22 Likes

Based on how I see people wearing their masks around here, they don’t even need to tip them that much. Either they already leave their noses exposed, or they pull the masks down to talk, or in one case, to examine produce, because their eyes aren’t enough, apparently. In any case, I couldn’t tip my mask if I wanted to. It doesn’t have elastic bands, it’s tied to my head, and I would have to completely remove it to satisfy some authoritarian’s paranoia. Then again, I’m a middle-aged white male, so I’m safe.

9 Likes

An editorial note: “Obviates” means “makes unnecessary,” not “renders useless” or “contradicts.” Eliminating the possibility of infection would obviate the need for a mask.

8 Likes

I work in a liquor store. Should I not ask to see peoples’ faces when I ID them? I could be held criminally liable if I fail to properly ID a minor before selling alcohol to them.

2 Likes

You should probably touch each customer’s face directly and firmly, just to be sure they’re not wearing a rubber mask.

19 Likes

Tipping your mask is insane. Just leave it at home if you’re going to do that. Don’t touch the mask or area around the mask until you wash your hands. If some store has a problem with that, that’s their problem. Shop on line, or have them hire better security, or whatever, but exposing your face for their cameras achieves nothing. Anyone who is coming in to the store to do harm will NOT tip his mask no matter what the sign says so this is completely stupid.

7 Likes

Is the sort of question policy makers should have considered before mandating masks in public.

A bandana with a coffee filter between the layers is a CDC-recommended option. Regardless of how you feel about it, the rest of us would appreciate your compliance, since it is to protect us from you, not the other way around. The science on this is clear that there is some benefit from it, and that’s why the recommendations were updated. Your personal feelings about the effectiveness of a science-based medical protocol are not particularly relevant here.

8 Likes

The stores here put up acrylic shields between cashiers and customers to address that problem. Perhaps you could do the same.

6 Likes

The actual intent is to unmask Blacks. To conceal this they “Prevent racial profiling” by asking everyone to unmask.

8 Likes

Effective at preventing you from getting the virus? No. Effective at preventing you from spreading the virus? Anything that impedes you from freely exhaling/coughing droplets of moisture into the surrounding air is much better than nothing.

16 Likes

I have to say, this is still not as infuriating as the people who will wear a mask as they drive alone in their car, walk down the street, and into the store, and then take off/ lower the mask to talk to the staff of that store. If you’re going to take the mask off to talk to people, you might as well not wear it to begin with.

11 Likes

But these are exactly the people who think about protecting themselves but never think about others. As @Brainspore noted above.

10 Likes
6 Likes

It doesn’t PREVENT racial bias. The mere suggestion of it is BECAUSE of racial bias.

13 Likes

I don’t see how; it’s not like most masks hide the color of one’s skin.

This just sounds like a passive aggressive attempt to spread the disease faster to Black and Brown people.

Fuck that noise.

17 Likes

Not a good idea to tip your mask, but being asked to decide between maybe exposing yourself or others to th’rona and getting shot because random citizen X feels afraid… that’s quite the choice.

We’ve been sewing masks for over a month using the freesewing.org pattern. Use old thick t-shirts and they are pretty effective at covering your breathing ports.

Getting elastic has been a problem. I’ll share my method: buy 1.5" or 2" wide elastic and slice it down the middle. It holds up well in the wash, tho I’d recommend hand washing, ironing and hanging out on a clothes line in full sunlight. Also fun to use parts of the graphics on the outside. Plus they are reversible (just use one side at a time until you wash it ok?)

9 Likes

IMHO bias tape works better. Elastic is too touchy and it’s always too tight or too lose. With tie ends you can get it right every time.

2 Likes

I’m not blaming you personally, but the fact the we haven’t rescinded that rule, and any other rules like those against delivering liquor, and layed off the brave booze bureaucrats who enforce them, (at least for the duration of the pandemic) is incredibly fucking stupid. It’s because our authoritarian, puritanical instincts are so strong that we haven’t even considered this. Nobody is going to fucking die if I can buy liquor in a mask, or, heaven forfend, get it delivered.

11 Likes

FIxed that for you.

3 Likes