Do not "tip your mask" unless you want to get the rona

Yes, which is why we have no crime, and why we have never had any crime.

3 Likes

Consider that these Blacks might have White collaborators … White Communist collaborators, if one must add.

The cops have already been at it for a while:

What’s perverse is this campaign seems to have been created by a black conservative group - one that normally expends all their effort in coming up with things black people can do to avoid being shot by the police. Apparently operating under the false premise that if you bootlick enough, cops won’t shoot you.

Nor have rules been rescinded, even in places that have made mask-wearing compulsory, against wearing masks. So in some parts of the country (e.g. New York), wearing a mask is both illegal and mandatory right now. Guess which who gets it from both ends?

17 Likes

Sorry. I didn’t elaborate on what I am doing. We have homemade masks currently, and I wear one when I go out around other people, which is as little as possible. I feel like the masks we are using might be a slight step up from bandanas since they are tight around the chin, and I can position them in a way that is more airtight (not as airtight as I would like) than a bandana would be. But if I had nothing else, I would use something like a bandana.

ETA Even though it was decades ago, I still remember a good chunk of my chem warfare training that I went through in the USAF in order to be stationed overseas. Currently, I wish I had access to my mask and fresh filters. Lacking that, what I have available is what will have to do.

Well alrighty then. My feelings were related specifically to the efficacy of a bandana. But go ahead and assume that’s my opinion on all “science-based medical protocols”, I guess. Why not?

The last time I went to the grocery store, close to three weeks ago now, they had put up barriers. The cashier who was ringing up my groceries leaned around it to talk to me, and she wasn’t wearing a mask. I hope things have improved around here. I may find out tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I got it. I wasn’t clear. I’m not walking around out in public just breathing on people.

11 Likes

But if everyone has to wear pants, you’re taking away muh freedum! /s

10 Likes

I am utterly nonplussed by the idea that mask-tipping is related to racial profiling. Are Americans of colour only coloured below the eyes/cheeks? Are they white above that line? Is that why masks must be tipped to reveal their ‘real’ colour? Maybe I’m being dense and maybe I am too unfamiliar with the subtle (or not at all subtle) racial politics at play here, but, really, WTF???

1 Like

The idea is that black people are more likely to be profiled as criminals, so when racists see a black person walking into a convenience store or a bank wearing a mask they are more likely to freak out than if a white person does it.

Obviously the truly abhorrent thing here is that black people are being asked to put themselves and others at elevated risk of spreading Covid-19 just so racists don’t get nervous.

14 Likes

People in my town have been wearing masks for about a month now and I can say that about 95% of them wear/handle masks incorrectly. There’s a lot of PSAs about proper hand hygiene but not of proper mask hygiene.

I see people: walking around with masks on their heads until they go in the store; constantly touching them to adjust them, have them dangling off one ear until ready to deploy, taking them off to talk to people within 3 feet. I don’t see too many glove wearers any more, but those who wore gloves would touch multiple surfaces and then touch their masks (costco employees would have mask off, load groceries from cart to belt, and then would used gloved hands to replace mask when talking to customers).

Best practice is: use clean hands to don mask. Leave mask alone! Only touch it to remove it. When ready to doff mask, clean hands and then remove. Your hands have cooties. The mask has cooties. Avoid mixing the two as much as possible.

8 Likes

honestly i think it’s intended to separate “good” black people from “bad” black people. good poc are those who comply with capricious white people rules and *especially * those rules which disproportionately harm poc.

conveniently, with the wording, it also indicates that white people don’t really have to comply because it’s not about them. which gives a nice new hammer to anybody wanting to harrass a person with darker skin tones.

“hey officer, he didn’t lower his mask!” "she didn’t let me see her whole face! " “i think they might not have lowered their mask, and i don’t like the way they’re speaking to me!!!” etc.

i think i finally agree with rob. there is no bottom.

10 Likes

Those are best practices if you’re wearing an N95 mask to avoid exposing yourself to the virus. It doesn’t matter so much if you’re wearing a non-surgical-grade mask to protect others from viruses you may be unknowingly exhaling.

10 Likes

im going off topic but i think like the psa about handwashing needing to say 20 seconds to get the point across, i think the message should be “use the straps to adjust your mask”

people aren’t going to stop adjusting them: everyone’s masks are ill-fitting and uncomfortable. so people need a positively phrased message that gives them a safe( r) way to do what they’re inevitably going to do.

3 Likes

hmmmm, one of our friends recommended this as well. How much give or elasticity does bias tape have? amazon delivery times about the same as the wide elastic, but we wouldn’t have to cut it down the middle…

18 Likes

And if it’s a white guy in cammo and carrying military killing hardware, should they tip their barrel to show that they’re one of the good ones?

9 Likes

Your comment has been logged and documented. Please report to your local precinct.

1 Like

Bion King? Is that boinking while watching a Disney movie?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Some states (hooray California!) do now allow for alcohol deliveries. Hopefully that will remain the case after the current unpleasantness.

1 Like

This, but unironically. Wear a mask, wash your hands, etc. But pants? I’ve been gloriously pants-free for days at a time. It’s one of the few silver-linings on this tire-fire created cloud of a pandemic.

5 Likes

I’ve certainly enjoyed wearing shorts and have seriously considered the purchase of a utilikilt, so I’m with you. But I was specifically responding to the info graphic posted by @sme:

3 Likes