Do not "tip your mask" unless you want to get the rona

Just a tip to everyone talking about homemade masks (somewhat effective against droplet spread, but essentially ineffective against aerosols):

Asian made kf94 and km95 masks are widely available. And, as you can expect, there have been reports of counterfeit ones on the market. But, there are ways to do some simple and fairly effective home testing to see whether you got the real thing or not.
And, these are not the same n95 that we should be preserving for health care worker use (the asian ones are not currently FDA approved, but have similar filtering ability).

My wife’s still currently working in hospital, and they’ve had no access to work provided PPE except for a dwindling supply of gloves in limited size options, so we’ve had to look into procuring our own supply for her, and the Asian made KF94 and KM95 are the best we’ve been able to come up with (as we had a few “real” N95’s in stock, but those only are going to last so long, especially considering constant thermal sterilization cycling).

4 Likes

But then tipping the mask is not such a big deal, is it?

One more time:

• If I wear a surgical-grade mask and follow best practices for doing so then I effectively protect myself from infection from others, as well as protecting those around me from any viruses I’m carrying.
  • If I keep my face covered with a non-surgical-grade mask then I’m still dramatically reducing the chances of me spreading the virus to others, even if I occasionally adjust the mask.
  • If I “tip my mask” to help make racists more comfortable then nobody gets any protection at all.
20 Likes

breaking-bad-gus-doo-it

9 Likes

9 Likes

Yes. It is.

8 Likes

Show my face, and needlessly jeopardize myself?

Mando Says

13 Likes

Especially when someone tries to pass a mask law post COVID and someone goes to court stating they have say, OCD, and it’s a reasonable accomodation to allow them to wear a mask.

The USA has a long history of anti-mask laws, originally aimed at the KKK but which are now often abused to stop peaceful protesters for protecting their anonymity

4 Likes

Right? This is not rocket surgery… wear a mask, stay safer!

5 Likes

This nonsense reminds me of the stupid sign at my bank. No hats, sunglasses, or guns allowed. If you see this, rest assured they are using facial recognition software. Also, a freaking bank robber does not give a rats ass about your little sign. They might as well put up a sign that reads “no criminals allowed”.

3 Likes
  • If you look at them from afar, they seem smaller, but aren’t.

Yes, because you will be required to have your SSN printed on your mask as a bar code for easier automated recognition, which will be way more reliable than that stupid facial recognition ever was.

1 Like

And chances are they’ve removed the paper towels, which saves paper (and trees) but it means one’s hands are no longer clean upon opening the door. If they’re going to get rid of paper towels (which is otherwise fine by me) then put a foot-pull at the bottom of the door. And/or an opener button.

2 Likes

In response to this:

17 Likes

Racecraft - I am so co-opting that term.

7 Likes

How ridiculous.
do they think black people are going to wear “white face” around their eyes?

racism really pisses me off

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.