Dog steps on rifle, firing it and inadvertantly killing owner

Originally published at: Dog steps on rifle, firing it and inadvertantly killing owner | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Loaded, chambered, and left with the safety off in the truck bed?

Must be another of those “responsible gun owners”. Woof.

48 Likes

“Inadvertently.”

That dog ain’t tellin’.

36 Likes

This is exactly why my building doesn’t allow dogs…or guns for that matter.

10 Likes

Something, something, only a good dog with a gun…

38 Likes

“Who’s a good doggo, huh?”

19 Likes

Man’s best friend no longer.

11 Likes

What’s with those “bear arms” in the Constitution? Apparently dog arms are the new thing.

17 Likes

That owner knows what he did…:unamused:

16 Likes

It was not immediately clear who owned the truck and the dog or who called 911.

Maybe the dog or truck called 911? Whatever the case, it isn’t the gun owner’s fault! /s

4 Likes

It appears the sole (human) witness is the dead man’s companion, so I hope the authorities did at least some cursory investigation before taking that person’s “the dog did it” story at face value.

Another person who was in the driver’s seat was physically unharmed, he said.

24 Likes

The story is so odd. How can they not know who owned the vehicle? Did it not have a license plate?
And this quote is just…:roll_eyes:

Officials say it appears to have been a hunting-related accident

Because there was also hunting related stuff in the truck. That’s like saying when a toddler accidentally shoots it’s mom in the greeting card aisle of Walmart that is was a “Mother’s Day” related incident.
Anything to avoid blaming irresponsible handling of firearms.

32 Likes

This sound like a job for Jessica Fletcher.

15 Likes

Who is presumably thanking his lucky stars that the dog didn’t manage to reload the rifle …

Like testing the main suspect’s paws for GSR? Hope the dog has a good defense attorney.

I like to think of this story as one of compensatory justice for the animals. Like a dog version of the “What do you mean ‘we’, paleface?” moment.

12 Likes

Duck Hunt Laughing GIF

16 Likes
4 Likes

It’s not terrorism. The dog was a lone wolf.

40 Likes

The only way to stop a dog with a gun is with good doggie with a gun.

4 Likes

Responsible firearm owners have a term for irresponsible hunters like that: Fudds. (After the cartoon character Elmer Fudd, obs.) Also, Idiots, Darwin Award Candidates, etc. And also people to avoid- you never, ever leave a loaded firearm unattended without turning the safety on first. (along with unloading it, which is the more responsible thing to do.)

7 Likes

From another story it was the passenger who was killed in the passengers seat. I’m sure the cops are competent but doesn’t the dog always get blamed? Maybe the it was the other guy that farted.

Smith entered the passenger seat of a pickup truck that had hunting gear, a loaded rifle, and a dog in the back, according to the Sheriff’s office. It was then that the dog, who belonged to the owner of the truck, “stepped on the rifle causing the weapon to discharge,” the statement said.

The shooting occurred north of the city of Gueda Springs, on the 1600 Block of East 80th Street South. The driver was unharmed,

And from that article I found this.

11 Likes