Donald Trump and his family watch grimly as Ted Cruz refuses to endorse him

So, one slimeball doesn’t endorse another slimeball. I’m shocked.

2 Likes

What really surprised me about his speech was that he said religious freedom applies to Christians, Jews, Muslims and Atheists. I mean, obvs on the first one or two, but he included Muslims and Atheists, which shocked the shit out of me. It doesn’t really affect the way I view him, but wow.

16 Likes

Well, the whole concept of atheism is bound up with the history of the Abrahamic religions, so it actually makes sense to include it. The idea of being an atheist, as I understand it, doesn’t really exist in Buddhism, Hinduism or Jainism, and in most of the world where religion is more tied up with social identity than the rules in a book.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what Ted Cruz took the stage last night, but the Ted Cruz who said this isn’t the same ultra-Christian dominionist homophobic zealot we saw earlier:

“Freedom means religious freedom, whether you are Christian or Jew, Muslim or atheist. Gay or straight. The Bill of Rights protects the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience.”

9 Likes

I think the only person who matches that description is Ted Cruz. Problematic.

2 Likes

Maybe it took being compared to Donald Trump to force some introspection on his beliefs.

11 Likes

Trump gets snubbed, Cruz gets booed - so many conflicting sources of schadenfreude here…

Yeah, I fully expect to hear tRump say something along the lines of, “All the other Republican candidates support me. All of them.”[quote=“nungesser, post:24, topic:81906”]
“The Bill of Rights protects the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience.”
[/quote]
I’m sure the important bit he gets out of that is the “right” to discriminate against the non-straight non-Christians…

3 Likes

It does seem like perhaps he’s laying the groundwork for next time, thinking that maybe we’ll forget he’s a wingnut if he tones down his hateful rhetoric. I doubt it will work, but I also doubted that Trump would get this far, so obviously I know nothing.

7 Likes

If there’s another Batman movie, I nominate Cruz to play The Penguin.

6 Likes

His wife?

1 Like

Well, as long as he keeps his Five for Freedom page up and running, outlining his plan to return to pre-1916 America via the elimination of the IRS, Dept of Education, EPA, PBS, Dept of Commerce, Dept of Energy, etc., it’ll be hard to forget that he’s a loonbat.

6 Likes

Just send in Chris Christie. No job is too messy to please the Drumpf!

1 Like

It seems like Ted Cruz is asking people to throw their vote away by voting their conscience. Doesn’t he know that “voting your conscience” will simply put the Democrat Boogeywoman in charge? I’m telling you, if Hillary Clinton wins the election it’s all Ted Cruz’s fault./s

NOTE: Sarcasm signifier placed at end of paragraph. In Pre-Trump America, few people are capable of detecting sarcasm in text form.

If you are reading this comment in Post-Trump America: “Sarcasm” was a lie told for laughs by the weak-minded. The spoken form of “Sarcasm” was usually accompanied by a mocking tone of voice. Please note that the mocking tone of voice used by our Great Leader during his inauguration was not “Sarcasm.” Nothing the Great Leader says is “Sarcastic.” All hail the Great Leader – please do not report my comment history to the police.

15 Likes

Or if you’re of the other persuasion, voting your conscience will put the Republican boogeyman in charge.

The still-unborn RatGirl the Younger is going to have a passport before the ink on her birth certificate is dry.

6 Likes

Maybe they’re coming down with the norovirus.

1 Like

Cruz’s real mistake seems to be assuming that all of Trump’s supporters weren’t voting their conscience. And to be fair I can understand where he’s coming from. He’s saying to himself, “The voters wanted a bigoted, racist loudmouth with terrible ideas for the country, and that’s exactly what I was offering!”

4 Likes

I actually LOL’d right about 2:05. That snide expression of his, or maybe he just looks like that, but anyway… It’s like when we’d walk our dog past a paddock; the guard dogs would run up to the edge, barking at us; our dog would squat and take a wiz; guard dogs would go apoplectic, unable to do anything about it because of the fence.

Hey, that reminds me, we haven’t heard anything about Kim Davis in at least, what, 30 minutes? Let’s not forget about Kim Davis! In this new-headline-every-second culture of ours, it’s easy to forget about people who matter. People who do stuff. People like Kim Davis. Don’t forget about Kim Davis! Kim Davis Kim Davis KIM DAAAVIIIIS!

2 Likes

She’s the Joe the Plumber of our microgeneration!

3 Likes

Join the club. I thought Cruz’s ambition would be enough for him to swallow his pride and pretend to support Trump. Before this, the GOP establishment was still his best chance for another run in 2024. Now if Trump wins and becomes the de facto leader of the GOP, he’ll make it untenable for Cruz. I can see two possibilities for Cruz’s motives. He may be hoping he can split the GOP and establish a new conservative party. To say this is optimistic after how thoroughly Trump has sacked the party is an understatement, but…what do I know? Or he thinks he can peel off enough votes from Trump to help Clinton win, sidelining Trump so Cruz can squirm his way back into the GOP by 2020 for a run against Clinton. Either way, at this point I doubt Cruz will ever be president, and whatever his reasons, it can’t help and might hurt the GOP, which Trump needs, so pass the butter…

7 Likes

Wow the freedom narrative runs strong. No-one raises an eyebrow over the hollow pathetic bullshit despite the fact that the US’s history regarding freedom isn’t exactly stellar lately.

From the outside perspective it’s even fear inducing because this narrative was/is used to start wars of aggression against other countries by the US government.

4 Likes