Donald Trump was found liable for sexually abusing E. Jean Carroll

Nonsense. They won’t be told about it at all.

7 Likes

I’m also sure that Trump will try his best to make it difficult for her to get the money and will try to delay as much as possible even if it costs him more money to do so.

12 Likes

Idk seems the court should have set up auto-pay from the onset. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

It’s actually on the site with “Trump reacts after jury finds him liable in Carroll case: ‘No idea who this woman is’”, but more prominent is “Hunter Biden’s former business partner makes last-ditch attempt to avoid prison”

6 Likes

19 Likes

Keep 'em coming. Criminal and civil, please.

19 Likes

My guess: In the same manner that he hid behind a nonexistent audit as an excuse for not releasing his tax returns, he’ll refuse to answer any questions about this civil case on the grounds that it might influence his upcoming appeal.

10 Likes

Yes!

Keep him in court so often that future generations will believe his legal first name is “Defendant.”

14 Likes

Sue* that fucker into the grave…

*and WIN.

13 Likes
9 Likes

For normal people like me and you, if we had a civil judgment against us and we failed to pay, usually the plaintiff can then file paperwork to have the money involuntarily taken from their bank account, if you know where they bank, or to garnish their wages, if you know where they work.

For Trump? I have no idea. My guess would be some finger wagging and “Now Mr. Trump, you really need to pay this” and not much more. Fortunately, I really don’t think Carroll was doing this for the money. She seems like what she wanted most was an official ruling from a court saying, “Yes, he did this to you, and then he lied about you.” Sadly, this is not likely to have much impact on Trump or his campaign, but maybe it’s the first of a lot of dominos.

25 Likes

We’ll see.

7 Likes

Yep. For now, I think it’s ok to celebrate a small victory.

16 Likes

giphy-1|nullxnull

17 Likes

It’s been used a lot, mostly in sarcasm. His chickens are finally coming home to roost, I hope. But IMO he’d rather pay lawyers to appeal this until the heat death of the universe rather than pay the victim. Even if he loses all the appeals, I doubt he’ll pay it.

3 Likes

Time to break it out one more time … all together, now…

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree. There will be a protracted and possibly futile battle over the money, but that wasn’t the real value of the suit (except to the lawyers, of course).

One thing a civil suit does is compel testimony and evidence that a criminal trial may not be able to if the scope of the charges don’t merit it. That evidence can then be used for criminal and civil prosecutions. Not sure how much of this will be useful going forward, but we have seen how similar powers in Congressional hearings have make evidence public that appears to be useful to the Justice Dept, Fannie Wallis, Alvin Bragg and Tish James.

In other words, sunlight, baby!

Day Hang Over GIF

17 Likes

Federal Court limits on punitive damages explain the low figure.

10 Likes

You know, one other thing of note. I was listening to Pod Save America the other week and a famous pollster whose name I forget was talking about… polling and stuff. One thing I found really interesting was that, among conservative voters and especially women, this suit was the most damaging to his reputation. The Manhattan DA’s investigation actually helped his polling among that demo, but this really hurts him. Every little bit helps.

14 Likes
11 Likes