Donald Trump was found liable for sexually abusing E. Jean Carroll

The case is in federal court because Carroll and Trump are citizens of different states. New York state law applies, but I doubt that New York limits punitives so severely. As a very rough rule, a ratio of no more than 10:1 punitive to compensatory damages satisfies constitutional due process. At least a 1:1 ratio is pretty common in verdicts, so this one is a little unexpected.

8 Likes

Time for a Bingo card of options.

2 Likes

Yeah well, it still hurts in his tender spot, even if it’s just legal fees so far.

19 Likes

It’s a start, it’s something, but surely there are better sources you could promote as the lead in the story than the notoriously transphobic The Guardian?

2 Likes

Notoriously?

They have had some terrible takes on that and other issues (to put it lightly), but mostly in the opinions, and unless I’m mistaken, they’ve not ended up in the unredeemable bin quite yet?

6 Likes

Damn writers strike. John Oliver would have definitely revived this bit if it wasn’t for that.

BTW: I support the writers who are striking. They should get compensation whenever their IP is reused.

5 Likes

Suzanne Moore and Hadley Freeman have both left, alleging that the Guardian was intolerant of “gender-critical” opinion and refused to cover controversial issues such as the Tavistock clinic or publish reviews of books by gender-critical authors. IIRC Suzanne Moore moved to the Daily Mail and Hadley Freeman to the Sunday Times.

Sonia Sodha is still at the Observer, the Sunday paper which is owned by the Scott Trust but editorially independent of the Guardian.

7 Likes

If I understand correctly, this is the opposite of the Guardian being transphobic – more like terfphobic? I agree with @nick_warr that the Guardian has made terrible mistakes; both writers in this case report being treated unprofessionally.

https://unherd.com/2020/11/why-i-had-to-leave-the-guardian/

2 Likes

You’d think, if one of the authors who left in a huff did so to work for the Daily Heil.

12 Likes

I’m all for him losing another million paying lawyers to waste time. Sometimes you even get a twofer and his lawyers get sanctioned or disbarred. That’s nice!

4 Likes
4 Likes

That sounds just like ‘reverse racism’; it’s NOT a real thing.

Just as the power imbalance always favors White people over everyone else, so it goes for those who are Cis-gender.

12 Likes

You do not.

11 Likes

Suzanne Moore is not a victim. She’s a perpetrator.

10 Likes

Poor her; there were actual negative consequences to her shitty choices and behavior.

9 Likes

I apologize; I didn’t mean to invoke that. I’m not at all a fan of Suzanne Moore – quite the contrary. I just trying to point out that her departure was not an example of the Guardian being transphobic. I’m glad to see her go.

Also, excuse the off-topic digression. It’s good to see E. Jean Carroll receive some measure of justice. I hope it makes her assailant less electable.

1 Like

LIke that’s a BAD thing? Shouldn’t we oppose people who align themselves with nazis? :woman_shrugging:

Given that they were promoting right wing talking points, maybe they’re being disingenous assholes to say so? I’d argue that promoting nazi viewpoints is pretty much the height of being unprofessional as a journalist…

And I as someone who was ACTUALLY bullied as a kid, these women having consequences for their decision to stan nazis isn’t being bullied… it’s fucking consequences for their shitty actions. They can fuck right off.

The fact that they let people write that trash in the first place is bad enough…

8 Likes

That does NOT make it right.
Being one of the most well-known of the papers in the UK, collectively responsible for thousands of hit-pieces on trans people every year isn’t an accolade to be proud of, and saying “It’s only their columnists,” is bullshit. The Guardian chooses to print stories and opinions that directly endanger my personal safety and access to healthcare, making my life demonstrably worse. They didn’t used to be this way.
I’m one of thousands of UK trans people under a constant barrage of negative opinions from the UK media every day.

“Just a few columnists,” my ass.

11 Likes

THAT PART.

I see it’s time to quote Malcolm, yet again:

7 Likes

The senior editors share that tendency to tolerate intolerant TERDs with their counterparts at the “liberal” NYT. All in an effort not to upset the older readership by questioning their second-wave feminist hand-wringing “concern” over the existence of trans people.

3 Likes