Donald Trump's still running, but the campaign's over

You mean you don’t delve in to 20 daily minutes of youtube comments and 15 more at the local paper comments sections… for balance? You’re such a partisan snobby elite type.

14 Likes

That wasn’t my goal in debating @aLynHall. My goal was to get them to understand the racial dimensions and why it actually matters. They kept insisting that people who aren’t racist are voting for Trump, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are still voting for the racist. [quote=“ActionAbe, post:226, topic:87929”]
Hillary will kill people that don’t need to be killed. That is a fact.
[/quote]

I can’t argue with that. [ETA] But I will say that people who think that Trump’s foreign policy is going to be any less bellicose are also lying to themsevles. He will also kill people who don’t need to be killed and it’s likely that will happen here, as he will empower the more racist elements in our society to strike out against the people they see as the “internal enemey”.

13 Likes

He has a list. A list of known awfulness. But Trump isn’t known for keeping promises.

6 Likes

It’s taken from Trump’s statements that suggest that we should be able to use our nukes if we wanted to, and that we should increase our stash.

If the “meme” confuses you, why not research where it came from?

It’s not a meme anyway, it’s an official campaign narrative.

7 Likes

Well, I do live in Oxford. :wink:

There’s not much point in reading the local papers comments for balance though, although they do let the right wingers have a say occasionally just so they can be humiliated when their arguments are torn apart.

3 Likes

That is one succulent looking cake.

2 Likes

I don’t know why anyone would read opinion pages when I can get nutter opinions on an hourly basis on the internet.

How can this be an echo chamber when I’m hit with a barrage of idiots on most any site that I visit?

It’d be nearly impossible to screen them out in a true “echo chamber”, rather than passively filtering out the more pathological sources of information.

2 Likes

@codinghorror - this is a great example of that comment attribution glitch

1 Like

“Trump is a dangerous warmonger” comes from one place. Such a person will get us into a war with Russia.

“Trump is a pushover who will do whatever Putin wants” comes from someplace completely different.

These “dangers” are the opposite of each other and are designed to frighten different people.

People who are posting both ideas at the same time are the ones who are confused.

2 Likes

No, really, that’s the one place it doesn’t come from. Trump speaks from both sides of his mouth on the US war machine. On the one hand he preaches isolationism to the rubes who are tired of US foreign adventures. On the other he brags about how he has amazing secret military plans, how he’s going to destroy ISIS, perhaps with nukes, attack Iran if they look at us the wrong way, get rid of a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear capacity, not respect the non-proliferation agreement, hobble NATO, et al.

He would create likely global conflicts not by attacking Russia, but by permitting further Russian aggression/attacks without a response. His single alteration to the GOP party platform was to soften the GOP’s stance on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Russia is growing more belligerent these days to the point of invading and annexing territory from neighbors and engaging in open efforts to alter the course of a US election. Trump’s a puppet who not only openly admires them but has worked to excuse past aggressions, has stated hostility and hopes to hobble the military alliance that keeps Russian aggression in check in Europe, and openly requested in public for the Russians to hack more US resources and further interfere in US elections. He’s not likely to attack Russia, but is likely to give a belligerent state excuses for further attacks, increasing global conflict.

11 Likes

You appear to be confused by the people who listen to Trump when he states that he believes that if we have nuclear weapons that we should be able to use them.

1 Like

I’ll be using this in a paper for my government class :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

You really should not make the assumption that anyone who disagrees with you politically is “programmed” or “too lazy to think for themselves”. There are entirely too many vocal people these days who cannot comprehend that other people might just have differing opinions about some issues. Opinions that also might be perfectly valid and well thought out, just from a differing perspective.
Maybe we should make sure that kids get exposed to civics and debate as a requirement for high school graduation. At least that would give them a decent working knowledge of the bill of rights, and some experience in civil discourse with people who disagree with them.

2 Likes

That’s two questions. Why do they hate is the more relevant one. Why her is a matter of democracy.

2 Likes

Lying in the interest of the public good is so common now. It’s become the norm on the Internet, where social esteem relies upon having the right opinions, and social scoring schemes reward extreme hyperbole.

I think it has a terrible effect on our political discourse. People lose the ability to see both sides with any objectivity, or even refuse to as doing so is some sort of ethical betrayal. It was my frustration with this that led to me leading this particular thread so far astray… :sweat:

1 Like

Thank you for posting that lovely specimen in the Cake Thread as well.

:slight_smile:

3 more days and this particular tedium is history; yay!

6 Likes

Well, I hear jet fuel can’t melt steel beams either. Someone should immediately investigate all the things.

9 Likes

But no votes were actually miscast, because there were multiple checks in place (which is how the issue was found in the first place).

That’s all you’ve got. Meanwhile, consider what has been done to keep young people, people of color, and poor people from voting in a significant number of states. Or gerrymandering. Those are much more significant and unpatriotic manipulations to deny the franchise to people more likely to vote against Republicans.

Why not try to entice them to vote for Republicans instead? That would be the proper response.

When you recognize that the only way you can win is by cheating, maybe it’s time to stop playing.

16 Likes

That site set my bias alarms off, so I searched for another source. This came up

It’s not even current.

On 22 October 2016, the 2014 Cook County calibration error claim was recirculated on Facebook as a purportedly contemporaneous account.

Having said that, I don’t like voting machines anyway. What’s wrong with a cross in a box on a bit of paper?

12 Likes

Crosses are for burning on front lawns, hippie! :wink:

6 Likes