Donald Trump's still running, but the campaign's over

:arrow_up:
##This.

That needs to be on a teeshirt and tattooed on some people’s foreheads.

Obligs:

13 Likes

You are right, post withdrawn. I can’t believe I did not notice the date.

I agree. Voting machines are a terrible idea. They are unnecessary, prone to manipulation, and I’m happy to see votes counted by hand. We don’t need instant results.

6 Likes

Eh, we all make mistakes from time to time. Have some cake!

8 Likes

Don’t worry, independents don’t examine the facts, just continue insinuating the lie over and over again, like any true rugged individualist. It’s only partisans who are subject to false narratives, of course.

Only the truly Woke can dualistically be “above it” when championing mainstream beliefs and ideas.

8 Likes

About 40 miles to Paducah and the coal counties are north of us. We have Southern Illinois University just to the north that gives a tinge of blue to the area…makes an interesting island of diversity especially since a lot of old hippies dropped out and melted into the hills down here

3 Likes

It works very well in Washington, I love our mail-in system with electronic tracking and secure drop-off lockboxes to avoid the frustration of postage.

2 Likes

Interesting. I knew Carbondale would be blue because if SIU, but I wouldn’t have guessed that Cairo was as blue as it is.

Please do. I was just riffing off the Honest Movie Trailers YouTube channel’s gag of calling characters and actors that somewhat resemble better known ones discount this and discount that person.

1 Like

Disco Hitler?

12 Likes

Almost everyone I’ve talked to is completely disgusted by this whole election. I predict very low voter turnout, and a record number third party and protest votes.

As far as where that leads is anyone’s guess. The fewer people that actually vote, the more unpredictable the result gets.

2 Likes

I get a lot of people feeding me the “then you’re effectively voting for Trump” argument when I tell them I’m voting for a third party.

Truthfully, you are far from alone in having reached the “fuck it” stage. There are a LOT of people who are just done with this whole thing, and I think the blame for that lies just as squarely with the DNC as it does with the GOP.

5 Likes

Lies partly with the DNC…“just as squarely” ignores decades of concentrated effort by RNC operatives and candidates to bring us to this brink of hell.

8 Likes

I also think predictions of low voter turnout are premature and prone to be based on personal bias.

The disgust is real, but so is the fear of the worst case scenario.

7 Likes

I knew Carbondale would be blue because if SIU, but I wouldn’t have guessed that Cairo was as blue as it is.

Cairo’s demographics put it pretty solidly into the Democratic party. Cairo tore itself apart over racial violence in the 70’s and the population has dropped. way down. It’s sad because sitting at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio it should have been a major hub of transportation and industry. Interstate 57 passes close and the railroads are there too… I worked in and around Cairo in the mid 70’s. There was still a business district and tons of beautiful old buildings and homes. You could feel the history wafting out of that place. It was dying but I didn’t know it. It’s still in a time different from much of the United States.

5 Likes

Selection bias, of course. The friends I have IRL and online are all the more driven to vote to counter the furious hatred of Trump and while I certainly know protest voters, the persons left of center who are too disgusted to vote Hillary are also fairly small in number.

I see Gary Johnson getting 2/3x the third-party support of Stein. Hell, maybe even Evan McMullin.

3 Likes

Yup, all the people I know reblogging Stein buy into decades of GOP ratfuckery uncritically. There’s plenty to criticize with DLC third-way politics… but they just seethe over anything negative (reality-based or not.)

6 Likes

On historical trends, virtually everything about this election points to record low voter turnout. Disliked candidates, heavily negative campaigning, deliberate voter suppression; these are all things that would reduce turnout in a normal election.

OTOH, Trump.

This assumes that everyone hates Hillary.

I’ve liked Hillary more and more with the grace and aptitude that she’s handled orange Hitler, and her image among Bernie voters has vastly improved as she’s made inroads with him, their leftist aims and goals are far more aligned than any alternatives in the running.

Anyone who doesn’t vote would’ve found “purity and integrity” reasons to not vote regardless. One can’t ever sully themselves with pragmatism.

4 Likes

No, it assumes that the mountain of polls stretching back years showing that a large proportion of the country (not just Trumpeters) distrust and dislike Clinton are not all imaginary.

1 Like