Don't "Keep Calm"; Scream, Rage and Break Shit

Please stop doing that.

3 Likes

Sorry. Iā€™ll check back in when I can word a response appropriately.

7 Likes

As I drifted into waking today, I felt the most astounding and powerful sense of wellness, wholeness, and goodness. The accompanying idea was, something must be done, and something will be done, he will be removed from office and the world will be made right again, and I was sure of it. Of course thatā€™s pure fantasy and denialism because with Rā€™s controlling both houses of Congress and the White House, itā€™s not changing.

I even made a point of saying ā€œPresident Trump, President Trumpā€ over and over throughout the day to avoid slipping into denial. My subconscious has other ideas.

10 Likes

Forgot your gif.

10 Likes

Agreed. I think thatā€™s where itā€™s rooted.

ETA: That the 21st centuryā€™'s centers of fascism are America and Russia, the two countries that lost the most lives in the fight against fascism, is especially bitter. Humanity, though, is not locked by borders. Weā€™re a species of ideas. We crossed the Bering Strait. Maybe we can even cross this eventually.

9 Likes

Heaven help us all.

16 Likes

I think about our decedents. You all know Iā€™m a physicist and I love physics. General Relativity taught us that the future is as real as the present. Our children are counting on us, even if they donā€™t know it yet.

ETA: And our parents seem to know this intuitively, so we, armed with scientific verification, have no excuse.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s why my heart feels like it has a lump of stone in it. I havenā€™t been able to eat, all dayā€¦ and I still have no appetite.

I keep thinking about my kid, whoā€™s just about ready to enter puberty.

And this batshit insane misogynistic world I fucking resigned her to, just by procreating.

Iā€™m scared shitless for her, and not Iā€™m not ashamed to admit it.

15 Likes

If immortal aliens landed right now and asked What have you mortals to fear?, Iā€™d tell them to try having kids and then get back to me.

8 Likes

I donā€™t know, I think President Fuckface Von Clownstick has a nice ring to it.

16 Likes

Iā€™m just waiting for another head of state to refer to him as such.

8 Likes

7 Likes

I was thinking yesterday that after this election, Iā€™m especially really glad I donā€™t have kids. Then I hung out in the LGBTQ center for a while ā€¦ and realized that most of the students are younger enough than me to be my kids, and while I donā€™t have the responsibility for them in anything like the way a parent would, I feel much the same fear for them that youā€™re describing. One of my closer friends there just turned 20 on Tuesday. Sheā€™ll be living with the fallout (hopefully not literally) for much longer than I will.

14 Likes

Can I just say, Canada is just generally horrified.

Its like if your best friend marries an alcoholic abusive cheaterā€¦ ā€œBut why, theyā€™re horrible, they said they want to burn your house down!ā€ ā€œThey didnā€™t mean it, and once weā€™re married theyā€™ll change, youā€™ll see!ā€

Granted, a lot of this is self serving. Our house is attached to your house. Weā€™re in business together. Weā€™re distant cousins. Anything that happens to you guys is going to trickle down to us. But most of it is just horrorā€¦ horror and checking of maps to see how far north Iā€™d have to move to avoid nuclear fallout.

17 Likes

In Nunavut youā€™d never even notice the difference between nuclear winter and regular winter. :wink:

10 Likes

Sure you would.

They sky would be dark for twelve months of the year instead of six.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Right there with youā€¦my daughters are old enough to be aware how dangerous this is, but they canā€™t know how guilty I feel for being the generation that hands this to them.

10 Likes

ā€œLast nightā€™s erectionā€ was originally a typo, but I kept it when I realized that the Trump victory was basically a giant rage boner.

10 Likes

What about President Fintan Stack?

6 Likes