Drinking a bottle of Coca-Cola from 1956

86 was a good year. I’m glad I laid down a case in my soda cellar.

4 Likes

How about eating a Twinkie from 1956? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve been reading that evidence is starting to show that HFCS goes straight to the liver to be turned to fat. It’s crap for us.

Find me one and I’ll eat it. Seriously :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And now I know… Thanks!

1 Like

My brown fizzy drink of choice, Dr. Pepper, had or have them, too, but I haven’t found them in my supermarket for a while now. I try not to drink sodas too often lately.

3 Likes

Because “freedom”?

1 Like

A clarification about the Mexican Coke from a guy living in Tijuana…
There’s a shit-ton of HFCS Coke sold in Mexico, in cans and plastic bottles. You have to buy only the Coke sold in glass bottles for the cane sugar recipe.

5 Likes

I wonder if the cans and plastic bottles come from North of the border.

1 Like

I think I will prefer CocaCola of those days…Less Sugar

1 Like

FYI, if you are looking for that “real sugar” Coke without HFCS and you don’t have a bodega nearby to buy the Mexican coke in glass bottles, find a grocery store in a 3 or 4 mlle radius of a synagogue and look for the Coke 2 liters with the yellow cap. Apparently HFCS is chametz and isn’t Kosher for Passover. Granted this only works for a month or so before Passover.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/kosher-coke-how-an-atlanta-rabbi-started-a-passover-tradition

6 Likes

The cane sugar version of Dr. Pepper was the pinnacle of peak soda, one of the best mass produced soda ever, imho. :+1:

(disclaimer: my second favorite soda is a grapefruit soda, so my tastes are a bit different then the average american.) :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Oh look, I found a penny on the ground. I am going to put it in my mouth and swallow it.

That’s fascinating. And good to know. I’ve seen the yellow caps! I like how that article says it without saying it.

I think it’s the same the world over. Coca-Cola syrup is formulated in special facilities, shipped to whatever region, and then bottled using the local (purified) water supply.

1 Like

Good point. Now I’m really wondering how the Mexican coke with sugar remained that way.

2 Likes

I would assume special-grade syrup? It’s just cane sugar isn’t it?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s cane or beet sugar.
ETA: According to wikipedia cane sugar, and intended for export to the US as a “nostalgia product”.

Huh.

3 Likes

Now you got me looking…seems like cane in Mexico.

http://www.ldcom.com/mx/en/our-business/sugar/overview/

1 Like

Sadly, it all seems to be corn syrup here in China.

3 Likes