Drinking milk while black: Student arrested for larceny over 65-cent milk which was actually free

You guys have cops in your schools.

4 Likes

Sadly, this is not a new thing. My high school, in super-safe suburban Minneapolis had a cop by the time I was in 11th grade. That was 1988. :cry:

3 Likes

So glad that wasn’t a thing until after I had graduated.

4 Likes

When I was in high school in the Noughties, we had a campus resource officer. I always felt kind of bad for him. He constantly had to put up with our shit. He was one guy and nobody liked or trusted him.

These days, I look at it more like, he chose to be there. If he hated it, he could quit anytime, keep his pension, and get re-hired trivially easily in a different department. So he chose to be the “big fish” in a small pond. If anything I no longer pity him. Now I’m just plain old disgusted.

1 Like

The milk is only “free” when it comes with a complete lunch as defined (and subsidized) by the USDA National School Lunch Program Guidelines. The milk is a PART of a complete lunch like a drink is part of a McDonald’s Value Meal.

Ms. Turk says Ryan went back to the lunch line to get his milk. Just as a person couldn’t go fill up a cup of soda at McDonalds without having purchased a meal, Ryan cannot go “back” to pick up a milk after he has left the lunch line. How is the cashier (or anyone else) to know that he didn’t take a lunch (with milk) as part of his original “complete lunch”? All Prince William County Food Service Cafeterias provide free water. A free or reduced price lunch student is entitled to one complete lunch. That includes one vegetable or fruit (mandatory), one grain and one protein. If Ryan concealed his milk, he must have been aware that he was taking an extra milk, or one he wasn’t entitled to. If he resisted an officer, then well, he needs some advice about submitting to authority.

Aside from that, I don’t know how the cashier could be expected to know that the student is entitled to a free or reduced lunch if the student didn’t go through the line.

Congratulations for signing up just to defend the pettiness of the whole situation. Well done. ::slow clap::

23 Likes

I know right? Like, what fucking choice did they have but to handcuff him and arrest him for larceny? The whole thing was out of their hands. It’s the law, and there is never any discretion involved when it comes to interpreting the law.

I think you could do with some advice about that.

21 Likes

Or he could have just put it in his backpack. Or the cop could just be lying. When a cop says “conceal” they can mean absolutely anything from holding something in a closed hand, to something put in a pocket to the fact that your toes are “concealed” inside your shoes.

Yeah, fuck that noise. If someone grabs you out of the blue, it’s instinctual to resist. You’re expecting more from a child than can be reasonably expected from an adult.

21 Likes

9 Likes

So you’re telling us he was detained for violating his nutritional standards? He decided that he only wanted the milk in his free meal and thus, he must be stealing?

If it’s because he didn’t follow directions, surely an adult could let him know that he must take all items and then throw away the good he doesn’t want. I don’t think you need the police to speak to the child.

15 Likes

Or any kind of basic diversity training. When i was working with Aboriginal people in northern Australia basically that exact description, word for word was given to us. “You’re white, youre in a position of authority. Young Aboriginal teens often get referred to psych services because they act like this but it’s just them being anxious. Give them time, speak to them about something they’ll feel comfortable talking about, have someone they trust with them…”

9 Likes

Hey @CarlMud - does this qualify? (I suggest that it does.) If so, you predicted it quite reliably almost 24 hours before it happened. Well done! (OK, so it’s almost inevitable that these mopes show up to proclaim that we should submit to authority like this, even if it does turn my stomach to read it.)

13 Likes

Well, that took a lot longer than I expected.:imp:

7 Likes

Either of those would be nice, but basic common sense alone should be enough to know that if you assault someone, accuse them, disrupt their day, trap them, and threaten them (especially publicly), then they’re not likely to be comfortable, calm, and pleased about the whole thing. If they actually are, that would seem more unusual, and more of a case for some additional psych training.

[Edit: fixed misattributed quick-quote]

5 Likes

20 Likes

I can’t take credit for the diversity comment (although it’s a good one @ringsundereyes), but as a former educator I’m super familiar with the 14-15 age range. They think everything is funny, including getting in trouble. Must of the time, the laughter is used to deflect the sheer embarrassment of possibly being in trouble.

I remember a middle school school teacher telling our credential class that you never want to force a teenager’s hand because they will never back down. In their lesser formed cognitive skill set, they see no future consequences. It’s better to de-escalate the situation and engage calmly because they will feel a sense of agency in the solution.

Note: This works about 90-95% of the time as some teens will cut off their own nose to spite themselves.

17 Likes

Yep. Definitely. This whole kind of analysis reeks of someone close to the matter. The specific references to USDA National School Lunch Program Guidelines and Prince William County Food Service Cafeterias are too specific to be a random troll researching stuff before spouting off.

I found a Facebook profile for a Mary Bates who is a lunch lady at Prince William County Schools, so I’d guess @Bates80 is trying to correct the record as she sees it. She made reference in a recent FB post about parents who don’t pay for their kids’ lunches and how much of a problem it is at her school. So it seems if this is indeed her, the issue of funding for lunches is a pet peeve of hers. Maybe she was the lunch lady in question or a coworker who feels her coworker is getting too much heat for the decision.

11 Likes

That was my thought as well. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen someone join BB just to dispute an article in which they or something with which they were connected was being cast in a negative light. There should really be a term for this - driving trollies doesn’t cover it. I guess I’m just slightly surprised she didn’t refer to anyone as a hoodlum, but perhaps she’s just slightly better spoke than that.

3 Likes

Early 90’s for me.

We had professional hall monitors, and pretty much everyone respected them even if they didn’t like them. They didn’t take any shit, but they didn’t have to carry anything more than a walkie talkie.

[quote=“Bates80, post:65, topic:78533”]
blah blah blah… blah blah blah [/quote]

You’re late; your presence was expected long before this.

9 Likes

Given the rather compelling evidence that the post / user in question was close to the matter, I think all the “troll” namecalling is unwarranted. A troll is someone who participates just to get a rise out of others, not someone who was materially involved in the situation and expressing an opinion about it, however much we may disagree with that opinion.

11 Likes