Dunkin Donuts releases new Spicy Ghost Pepper Donut, and actual humans are eating it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/dunkin-donuts-releases-new-spicy-ghost-pepper-donut-and-actual-humans-are-eating-it.html

I was so on board until they ruined it with strawberry flavor, the worst berry flavor.

5 Likes

As opposed to what? Fake humans? Ghosts?

1 Like

Anyone who partakes of Dunkin Donuts in the first place is already ingesting garbage. As if the Ghost Pepper Donut is some massive stretch to rock bottom?

2 Likes

So it seems that it’s not actually a fiery hot ghost pepper filling? I got the vibe from reading the post that it’s just somewhat spicy, which defeats the purpose of even using a ghost pepper to begin with. It’s supposed to knock your socks off, if that’s the case i might try it but if that’s not the case then why bother?

3 Likes

They chose the ghost pepper because of the Halloween theme, not because of the spiciness.

6 Likes

mmm tactical pepper spray donuts.

3 Likes

Obviously but it annoys me when places put ghost pepper on one of their items and it ends up being far from spicy. If you’re going to use it commit to the heat.

6 Likes

meh:

4 Likes

Agreed. I tried the donut. It was…fine? Some pleasant heat but nothing I’d write home about. A can of El Pato has a better burn than this.

Still a fun novelty to try. And a good reminder that their donuts are terrible.

2 Likes

This sounds quite misleading. It sounds like it is not a “ghost pepper” donut. It is a ghost “pepper donut.” On the site it says it’s a combination of ghost and cayenne. If you have any ghost pepper in it, you don’t need cayenne for heat.

This may lead people who eat the donut to believe they have eaten, and can eat, a ghost pepper.

It doesn’t sound all that spicy. In general, there’s something to be said for spicy/sweet combinations. One of the best ice cream combos I’ve ever had was Jalapeño pepper jelly on vanilla ice cream. Addictive!

2 Likes

I had one this morning (before it was cool) and I can corroborate. Heat is way on the back end and I’d say accessible to people who don’t like spicy everything.

2 Likes

JP Licks in Boston used to have a spicy cayenne-pepper-chocolate ice cream (that also wasn’t super spicy, but interesting.)

Slightly off topic: at the Salvadoran-owned burrito place I frequent I’ve noticed that when I order in Spanish and they ask me if I want it spicy, it really is spicy. But if I order in English I get some watered-down “gringo spicy.”

5 Likes

No wonder the strawberry is such a universally reviled berry.

1 Like

Very little heat? The scorpion peppers growing in our back yard just shouted “lame”.

2 Likes

Starbucks fan?

Strawberry + only nominally spicy = hard pass for me. Call me back when it is chocolate and the Schoville units belong on a log scale.

1 Like

That was a delicious ice cream. I didn’t get to J.P. Licks this summer to see if it was on the menu.

1 Like

My son who likes the very hottest peppers told me, “I tried one, they have no spice at all. I couldn’t even detect the heat.” That’s too bad. He likes to slice scorpion peppers raw and put them on a sandwich. While I do like hot peppers too, he loves them.

2 Likes