E. Jean Carroll accuses Donald Trump of sexually assaulting her in the mid-1990s

Thanks for reminding me to read the article. Sobering stuff.

( b ) I run the risk of making him more popular by revealing what he did.

6 Likes

Very.

Gladly. It’s unfortunate that many who decry the reflexive speed they ascribe to others are to busy firing off rhetorical questions to read what women actually write.

The Silent Generation(s) weren’t silent about sexual abuse, assault and harassment only because they were raised to be by a conformist culture opposed to upsetting the apple cart. When women broke that code and spoke up, the prevailing culture overwhelmingly dismissed them, and talking to a wall seemed futile so they relied on the manifestly inadequate convention of whisper networks to warn each other.

Not all of Trump’s base admire sexual predators, but they’re unwillingness to call those who do to account enables it, just as it does the xenophobia, racism, lies and blatant hypocrisy.

14 Likes

It is time for Trump to go. Enough of this. It is time for Trump to go.

3 Likes

Apparently the response to this among some is, “You’re not the boss of me!”

This was not a “don’t question dear leader” instruction, it was more of a “don’t make an ass of yourself” instruction. Try “Why don’t women come forward with sexual assault allegations” as a search. My top hit was a very accessible article in psychology today.

The reason you shouldn’t wonder is because you can only wonder if you don’t understand. Understand instead.

14 Likes

One more time: It’s up to the survivors to decide if and when to come forward. No one else has any right whatsoever to tell them what they “must” do.

16 Likes

Sorry, that was poorly phrased. You’re right I have no such authority and I take back the suggestion that I thought I did. Is “should feel that there is the positive space for them to come forward without fear” better?

1 Like

Yeah honestly, even if it hits people in the peaches to hear it, I really appreciate people being asked to jaq off about it elsewhere. If this is the first time some one told them that the first uninformed thing that pops off in their head might not be a great question to ask because:

1. the answer is so readily available that their asking is literally refusing to RTFA
  2. to somehow maintain ignorance at this point when information about that is soo readily available means you don’t even care enough about that question to look into it yourself
  3. repeating those free teaching moments has become an actual burden on the members of a community because they can’t discuss anything else very much for the noise

… then honestly if that kind of question is still the most important question you can think to ask then you really just need to shut up and listen because you won’t know anything you didn’t already know until you do. That’s the truth of it, really.

11 Likes

This concerns me as much as what happened to Ms. Carroll.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-donald-trump-e-jean-carroll-rape-allegations-say-about-us_n_5d110da1e4b0aa375f512a77

5 Likes
8 Likes

Not to your point.

But to another - I think Trump developed his germaphobia after sexually assaulting women. Maybe Roy Cohn suggested it when Trump was just a younger and less frequent assaulter.

My initial thoughts of a man who kisses a strange (not known) woman on the mouth or sticks two fingers up her vagina, is he needs an excuse, not a handiwipe.

Has anybody ever documented his claim? They repeat it as if it is gospel, which has bothered me since he came to international attention.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.