Elections 2021 and 2022

Not a good idea. I really like her too!
Sad Cry GIF

4 Likes

But it’s also bullshit, as she wore the mask to the event, and took it off for the photo op and to talk to kids over zoom. And of course not a single republican melting down over this would wear a fucking mask to anything, because they are assholes who don’t give a shit who they kill.

12 Likes

This is all very true. But I have no expectations as to the conduct of the death cultists. They are lying, cheating, mass murdering hypocrites. I’m disappointed Abrams took off her mask around a group of kids and allowed the photo op mask-less. She is usually so very savvy and awesome it’s hard to remember she is just human.

Her opponents can take their hypocrisy and stuff it up their asses

9 Likes
5 Likes

Mike Pence never once had a chance at the presidency… The closest he came was when he was VP…

7 Likes

from

14 Likes

But the GOP has a Black friend! /s

7 Likes

I’m sure that won’t last long…

10 Likes

On a positive note:

14 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

The writer is a history professor at Emory!

12 Likes

Professor Anderson is awesomesauce…

Speaking of…

I’m trying to find a copy of the letter online, but am not having much luck so far. I’ll post it if I find it.

12 Likes

When I first saw this headline I momentarily thought that Hulk Hogan was thinking of throwing his hat in the ring. Not really sure if he’d be better or worse than this guy. Certainly better that 45 was.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting argument: it’s not gerrymandering at the base of the problem.

Representative paragraph:

What if the state of Colorado held one statewide election for its eight House reps, and Congressional seats were allocated proportionally. That is, a 50-50 split in the popular vote would mean four seats for each party. Get closer to 60-40, and the favored party gets five seats. This is proportional representation, and some version is used in most advanced democracies, excluding the U.S.

6 Likes

Fix the Senate’s undemocratic representation while we’re at it.

Another approach to the House is the reappointment process- which hasn’t been done since they fixed the number of seats a hundred years ago. Add many more seats.

7 Likes

“Both James and Chief Erika Shields say they believe the democratic candidate was the target. James called it an assassination attempt. Watch Shields’ update in the player above.

Shields said no one was hurt, but that a round did hit Greenberg’s clothes.

“We consider ourselves very fortunate today,” Shields said.“

Cross post in Fuck Today.

5 Likes

Definitely an interesting idea but there are a lot of details and complications that the article doesn’t get into. How do politicians get their name on the list for each party? Are they chosen by party insiders/power brokers or is there some kind of closed primary system? If you have to vote for a party rather than an individual does that eliminate the option of split-ticket voting? Can people no longer run as independents?

What if the state has regional interests that don’t clearly break along party lines? (For example, one corner of a large state being heavily dependent on a specific industry/crop/etc) Would there be any way for that region to elect a representative that was looking after their specific interests rather than just hope that the entire Democratic or Republican party would support their niche issue?

Definitely pros and cons to the idea but it doesn’t seem like a panacea by any stretch.

1 Like