Elections 2021 and 2022

Trump isn’t going to choose Pence as his running mate in 24. This sounds like a fight over who will be. And Bannon doesn’t want Graham.

6 Likes
9 Likes

You beat me to it.
I just posted that NYT article in the billionaire thread.
Intersectionality is painful sometimes.

7 Likes

WTAF:

9 Likes

SSDD…

9 Likes
9 Likes

It worked like a charm in VA. This is now the model others will follow. “Give parents (just to be clear, it’s not usually parents, but political actors who push this shit) the power to tell the schools what to teach your everyone else’s children!” Until it fails, it will be used over and over ad nauseum.

9 Likes

People are pushing back on this and other GOP/GQP tactics. Hopefully, those efforts will pay off at the polls and in education!

7 Likes

So in many ways this was a local issue in SF and hopefully not any indicator of general trends to come, but the overwhelming results were pretty striking:

You’d be hard-pressed to find a big city that’s much bluer than SF, and each of these school board members were recalled with over 70% of the vote. One board member received 122,000 votes when she was elected in 2018, but only 27,000 people voted to keep her in office in this recall, with more than 78% of voters wanting her out. That suggests a huge percentage of voters changed their minds about her, which is rare these days.

Many people saw this school board as being particularly incompetent and insensitive to the needs and priorities of the city residents (for example expending a lot of effort to rename schools including one named after Abraham Lincoln at a time when the schools had been closed longer than almost anywhere else in the country with no clear plans for a safe reopening) so maybe this won’t apply too much to other left-leaning politicians. But it’s definitely an example of what can happen when a population is frustrated and they don’t think that their elected officials are listening to them.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Ha Ha Lol GIF

2 Likes

internally screaming episode 7 GIF by The Good Place

6 Likes

@gatto raised an interesting question. This is also making me wonder about how results from counties are being viewed vs. states or major metro areas :thinking::

I’m not sure this “Big Sort” view of migration fits with reports on why people are moving, decreasing populations in some cities/states, and the impact on political parties/upcoming elections. Does it seem odd to anyone else? I found examples from before and after the pandemic started, since that’s cited as a major motivating factor (for economic and/or political reasons).

Bloomberg - Where Americans Are Moving (2021)

7 Likes

I’m guessing cost is a factor? The price of living is certainly rising here in the ATL, but there are plenty of affordable apartments and houses still be be had both OTP and ITP - though that will change if something is not done to curb costs. They just announced a new development between a couple of a popular, trendy shopping district and hip neighborhoods, and as far as I’ve heard, despite being a neighborhood that still has lots of working class folks, the condos are probably going to be pretty pricey with no “affordable” units as far as I’ve heard (it’s yet another live/work/play type place which are all over the city). But even with that, I can think of lots of communities around the city that are more than affordable, near Marta, and have cool stuff happening.

That being said, if Democrats really want to win, we have to think about living outside the bluest areas in the state. The GOP controls the legislature, because they have historically invested more in the rural parts of the state, but Stacey Abrams showed that Democrats can use a state-wide strategy to increase the margins out there. If we can distract from the politics of hate, and focus on the issues that face all of us (health care, what modern farming can and should look like, investing in other industries, investing in education in rural parts of the state that address the changes to the economy), then they do have a shot with at least some voters out there. Having lived in a much redder part of the state for much of my childhood and into early adulthood, I don’t believe that’s impossible, especially if the Democratic voters base moves out there (which has happened across the central part of the state fanning out from ATL).

8 Likes

from that brookings report

it does seem like an odd assertion that america is increasingly sorting itself, if year after year fewer and fewer people are moving…

although i guess if you are moving solely for “politics” ( aka feeling safe ) that once you’ve moved maybe you don’t need to move again?

( also, graph adds proof the 70s never happened )

seems so. from that one link:

Millennials entering this age group have largely been saddled with “stuck-in-place” issues associated with higher housing costs and underemployment, leading them to postpone key life events such as marriage, childbearing, and homeownership. And even though renters tend to move more frequently than owners, the rental market has become increasingly unaffordable.

my take is: the housing crash allowed companies to buy up properties, and then everyone realized building more housing would only undercut their existing profits. why drive your own prices down by adding to the supply?

10 Likes

Exactly. The only areas near me where they are building more focuses on wealthy people able to afford luxury condos and apartments. The pushback against affordable housing affects working class people, even though the perception is that means housing for those living in poverty.

5 Likes

I can attest that the 70’s indeed happened. It’s just that everyone’s recollection of them is extremely fuzzy.

9 Likes

Shag even…

Shower Mint GIF by mintmobile

ETA: You’d laugh if you saw the amount of 70s decor principles our house incorporated…shag carpet, earth tones, velvet-flocked wallpapers, fiber wallpapers, etc…

4 Likes
5 Likes

Seeing that here as well. Daughter trying to find a place to live, and with a just-sub-6 figure income, its not happening. Apartments in Staunton start around $1200/mo, Harrisonburg is worse. 1000 sq ft houses go for $210k+ and sell in 24 hours or less, mostly to investment groups for cash with no contingencies. They are being forced further out into the hinterlands, and yeah, if this continues it will alter demographics significantly.

9 Likes