Elections 2021 and 2022

Hope this one gets reelected.

US House candidate, IL-06
2/ For context, it’s worth understanding what our world was like just 2.5 years ago. GDP was in free fall, unemployment was spiking, global travel was frozen and demand for oil was collapsing, taking oil prices along with it.

3/ This collapse in energy use led to a direct, measured reduction in annual CO2 emissions.

4/ In response, a group of @GOP Senators introduced a bill to pull US troops out of Saudi Arabia unless they slashed oil production. On the logic that this would raise oil prices and provide welfare to the neediest amongst us - the US oil sector.

5/ Trump echoed that message directly from the White House.

6/ And here’s the deal: it “worked”. Oil production was slashed. Crude prices spiked 24% the next day. The @GOP got what they wanted. Fox news praised them. Your cost of living went up. Again: this was just 2.5 years ago.

7/ Fast forward to today. Oil prices are too high. We passed the #InflationReductionAct to to decouple from petro-state volatility & grow our economy with cheaper energy. We are on the cusp of the biggest wealth transfer in our history from energy producers to energy consumers.

8/ It will slash CO2 emissions by 40% relative to 2005 levels AND leave Americans richer. That is a threat to OPEC. It is also a threat to the @GOP. Every one of them voted against cheaper energy, and they want to overturn it if they win the House.

9/ Meanwhile, Russia has an economy that depends on oil revenue. The higher the oil price, the more money they have to kill Ukrainians and risk European peace. That’s why the US and our allies are so focused on cutting off that cash flow.

10/ So what will OPEC’s production cut do? It will boost the oil price, bringing more revenue to Putin, MBS and @SenatorCassidy’s oil-dependent regions. It will also kill more Ukrainians, raise costs for US consumers and hurt POTUS electorally.

11/ That brings no benefit to the US collectively, democracy, human rights or the post-WWII order. And so, @RepMalinowski, @RepSusanWild and I have introduced the exact same bill @SenatorCassidy led 2.5 years ago, but this time putting the interests of US consumers first.

12/ Here is the bill text. And here is my challenge to our @GOP colleagues: if you care about US consumers, energy costs and democracy, this is your chance to prove it. Sign on. Join us. Or else at least have the courage to acknowledge your hypocrisy. /fin

15 Likes

A bad time in history for a system upgrade to block our knowledge about crime rate patterns:

10 Likes

Foreign spies hijacking US mid-terms? FBI, CISA are cool as cucumbers about it

8 Likes

Hubris isn’t a good look.

9 Likes

Top. Men.

8 Likes
9 Likes

11 Likes

I saw this story earlier, Oz is an idiot, my question is why is that vehicle on display at all? I get that it’s history but I still don’t get it.

And, why is Oz campaigning in California? I mean it’s his campaign to lose but I wonder why he’s there instead of in the place he wants to be elected in.

Although, that seems to be how a lot of these republicans operate, Marge and Lauren are never in their states representing their constituents so I guess this would be normal.

4 Likes

He wasn’t campaigning- as the article notes, it was a $5k/plate fundraiser.

Politicians of all stripes have been treating California as their ATM for many years. Even the ones who claim to hate California. As Willie Sutton once said when asked why he robbed banks, “that’s where the money is.”

The good news is that if Oz is taking the time to attend out-of-state fundraisers this close to the election, then he probably really needs the money.

8 Likes

Was he raising money for his campaign or helping someone else?

Why would California voters raise money for a candidate that does not represent them?

Either way why don’t politicians focus on the people they claim to want to represent? (rhetorical)

1 Like

California has a ton of rich folks. Many are Republicans who would really like The GOP to control the Senate and (accurately) think their money would go further towards that goal if donating to relatively tight out-of-state races rather than spend it on a hopeless California senate race.

Plenty of Californians donated money to Stacey Abrams’ political turnout efforts in Georgia, and I’m glad they did because otherwise the GOP would probably be in control of the Senate right now.

8 Likes
10 Likes

I mean, it’s right there across from Reagan airport. An easy venue to access for Oz without having to mingle with the poors. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

If elected Dr. Oz is most definitely going to be representing the interests of rich assholes across the country.

10 Likes

My first reaction to that news was “the fact that Walker is even a contender anymore suggests that his campaign staff must be working their butts off,” but apparently this particular fellow was fired because he’s suspected of leaking info to the media. The plot thickens!

14 Likes
9 Likes

10 Likes

If the DOJ gets their ass moving, Grassley might be disqualified under the 14A,sec3. If they don’t, then maybe Franken will have a better shot in the special election once the insurrectionist is removed.

Remember, there’s good documentation that Grassley expected to be the one counting the electoral votes on Jan6, with Mike Pence out of the picture (fled/kidnapped/hung) and knew to throw the issue back to the states. If there’s a case against any senator, oddly enough, it’s against Chuck.

14 Likes

Guess I’m a little slow today, but I did finally get it!

8 Likes

Voting Rights GIF by INTO ACTION

12 Likes