Elections 2021 and 2022

He’s not up to that job.

I have to wonder if MTG & Gaetz are double teaming him with an inside/outside game.

14 Likes

American partisan politics are not unlike those of Canada. For example, one party having control over Canada’s House of Commons doesn’t translate into individual elected members actually representing their specific electorate. They basically represent their party and its ideology thus policy.

Even then, our elected leaders and governments are increasingly becoming symbolically ‘in charge,’ beneath the most power-entrenched and saturated national/corporate interests and institutions.

Most notably, powerful business interests can debilitate high-level elected officials through implicit or explicit threats to transfer or eliminate jobs and capital investment, thus economic stability, if corporate ‘requests’ are not accommodated.

Lobbyists will even write bills for our governing representatives to vote for and have implemented, supposedly to save the elected officials their own time.

It’s a political crippling that’s worsened by a blaring news-media that’s permitted to be naturally critical of incumbent governments, especially in regards to job and capital transfers and economic weakening.

Apparently, politically potent and focused big business interests get catered-to regardless of which of our two largest parties governs.

Pardon the cynicism, but I feel ‘Calamity’ Jane Bodine in the film Our Brand Is Crisis has a point in her memorable line: “If voting changed anything, they’d have made it illegal.”

then you obviously haven’t been paying attention.

and that doesn’t even begin to address the disparities of which groups of people disproportionately get put in prison, nor of places that locate prisons in their jurisdiction to increase representation.

then there’s the illegal gerrymandered districts that further water down the vote

and also a “meme” that voting doesn’t matter and that we all should give up, thus undermining the vote even more

before the civil rights act it was illegal for many women and men to vote. this all is and was on purpose

17 Likes

Probably, but the freedom caucus will put endless pressure on him to do so, whether or not they have it or not. I’m wondering how that will play out and how much McCarthy will play along…

They really did, but of course, this doesn’t mean Trump can’t make a comeback (or other extremist can’t take his place) if the forces that backed him in the first place falls back in line. I hope they choose moderation, but I’m not going to count on it. Besides, at this point “moderation” is defined by Mitch McConnell, who had his own form of quiet extremism, which was basically deny the Democrats anything they want all the time.

Yeah, I suspect his tenure as Speaker will be riddled with problems, and he’ll manage to get very little actually done - then again, that’s the GOP goal lately - gum up the works of government to make more people hate the government like they do.

That much is clear, agreed.

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Most of us are familiar with how a parliamentary system works… some people here are even Canadian, some British! Some from non-English speaking countries!

Wait… I thought you said Canadian politics aren’t like American? :thinking:

12 Likes

Still ongoing, but I found this bit interesting - I did not know they did this, but it makes sense

“Now the district’s 27 counties are tallying their final ballots, which also include an unknown number of regularly cast ballots that they held out to ensure these final vote tallies are large enough to keep individual ballots anonymous.”

13 Likes

Given that he has a will made of wet toilet tissue…

9 Likes

Yep… just look how brave he is in the face of fascism…

10 Likes

:grin:

21 Likes

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

14 Likes

That’s kinda mind boggling.

11 Likes

The Princess Bride Boo GIFs | Tenor

15 Likes

Thank you for that mental image, please pass the mind bleach.

3 Likes

well-shit-face-palm

15 Likes

14 Likes

It would be great if he was forced to run a mile. I’d pay to see that.

12 Likes

I’m holding out for him riding a bike, but preferably no larger than a BMX.

7 Likes

Noice. But less chance for a heart attack or stroke.

9 Likes

But…

13 Likes

To cheer us up:

13 Likes

Thanks!

9 Likes