Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

It’s exceedingly local, but we’ve found someone progressive willing to run for Mayor of my small town. The current Mayor is a scary person, and many people are afraid of him. The last candidate had rocks thrown through the windows of their business, which is a preschool. The current candidate has no family in the area (that was a major consideration for two people who were interested). So, hopefully this will work out.

10 Likes

I wish them luck! If they end up with a campaign fund, post a link? It sounds like your town definitely needs new leadership.

10 Likes

For sure. It’s not like the Mayor affects big issues, but it’s the low-level graft, bullying, and that kind of thing. And the croneyism. We have a chance to bring some new tourism dollars into the town, and maybe help people get in on it who’ve traditionally been left out. But right now the project looks like it’ll line the pockets of the Old (white) Guard instead of giving new opportunities to a broader swath of folks. So, small, local change? Maybe so. Lots of people hate the guy, but lots of people are very afraid of him. We’ll see. Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

As @docosc says, every election matters. Even the town dog catcher. Who leads is a reflection on the town and the town deserves someone honest and fair. And not creepy mafia wannabe

14 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

And everyone wonders why smaller towns keep shrinking… maybe it’s because some of the people that live there are assholes?

My best from the big city!

11 Likes

Yep, and harder to avoid. And “their people” are everywhere. I just learned that a husband/wife we’ve been chatting with for a few months in a local bar are the daughter and son-in-law of the mayor. The guy down the street I share bourbon with is his stepson. They all hate him, but it’s a good lesson in not talking shit/gossiping with people. You never know who’s related to whom.

8 Likes

Yep… got to be careful in a small town…

small town GIF by John Mellencamp

8 Likes

That’s life in a small town, man. Everybody knows everybody, and everybody’s business. It’s one of the advantages of my extreme introvertedness.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Face Palm No GIF

Sinema to join next? It would make sense. :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Manchin’s VP pick?

4 Likes

Mansinema '24 does have a ring to it.

Like Manimal.

4 Likes

Sure does have a certain ring to it.

4 Likes

It sounds like a gastrointestinal disorder.

8 Likes

or a method of treating one.

10 Likes

Mansinemaenema?

6 Likes

I was thinking of something like “Mansinemitis” or “Mansinema’s Fistula.”

7 Likes
5 Likes

Liquor gift cards? It would be more traditional.

8 Likes

No Labels is bullshit. Stoooooopid

6 Likes