Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

jon stewart wish GIF

12 Likes

I would love that, but it’s difficult for me to even envision getting there when one side is running full out toward religious authoritarianism. The bar for the Dem being the lesser of the two evils in any election is SO LOW. I mean, I’m not a particular fan of Biden, but he’s clearing that bar without breaking a sweat. In order to get out of the lesser of two evils loop you need to be able to trust that while it may suck, you’re going to get another shot at governing in 2-4 years time. Imagining that is very hard at the moment.

6 Likes

Yeah, and that’s because people aren’t remotely doing lesser of two evils voting. The Republicans get in more than half the time. That’s the anchor that’s dragging down American politics – stopping it would be step one, and we aren’t there yet.

6 Likes

1.6 x 10-40 m, give or take.

3 Likes

I think that lots of people who are voting for the GOP believe that they are voting for the “lesser” of two evils… But that’s because they’re buying up at least some of the Fox News propaganda about how “bad” it would be under “democrat” rule. That their taxes would go up, their guns would be taken away, their white women assaulted, the country would be “flooded with illegals” and that schools would “indoctrinate” their kids to hate God and white people… But they certainly don’t think they’re “extremist” in their views. They ARE of course, because none of that is true. But they certainly believe that the “left” is the real threat to their “liberty” and “freedom”…

5 Likes

This exactly, it’s two different definitions of evil.

3 Likes

Except one is related to reality and the other simply isn’t. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Absolutely true. Far too often, people don’t wake up until it’s far too late and lives are destroyed. Sometimes, they never wake up.

6 Likes

I’m not saying their definition is a good one, it’s delusional, but they absolutely think they’re engaging in lesser of two evils voting.

2 Likes

I think that many of them don’t believe it’s good- they just think they know which side their bread is buttered on.

6 Likes

May well be. I’m only going with the Iowa in-laws I’m stuck with for my sample here. My brother-in-law will absolutely unironically claim the Dems are the ones trying to end elections and do so with wording that got my first draft of this reply caught waiting for mod approval.

4 Likes

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Upton Sinclair

6 Likes

Those two things aren’t unrelated, though. A disappointing Democratic Party is the direct result of a fascist GOP.

4 Likes

Maybe, but it’s been an ongoing problem since the 90s, with Clinton third-wayism.

6 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

The injunction via a Trump-appointed judge is working by design. (Free access link.)

2 Likes
5 Likes

I still don’t buy the idea that any democrats are going to peel away and vote for this guy in the primary or the general election, and if he runs as a third-party candidate in the general election, he’s more likely to peel off votes from Trump or DeSantis or whatever asshole is on the (R) ticket.

6 Likes
4 Likes