Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

11 Likes

Florida is about to be slammed by one of the most dangerous Hurricanes on record. A storm where the federal response will come from the Biden administration with Harris running for election, and the responsibility to request that federal response to come from Ron DeSantis.

It looks like DeSantis is already not taking Harris’ calls. If he allows for an early federal response he will be seen as weak (in his mind). If he waits for the inevitable disaster to strike he can blame a lack of federal response.

I expect he’ll wait for disaster, then allow for some small promises of aid from right-wing astroturf entities and talk up the local response, then accept the federal response but say it was all funded by the afore-mentioned entities while blaming Harris.

Good luck Floridians.

21 Likes

It is to a degree, though, because fascism itself is cynicism melted into nihilism. It’s people who have given up on changing things in any meaningful way via our democratic institutions, but instead choose to lean on a strong man to “fix” things. And by fix, I mean destroy because there is no other way to deal with our problems in their mind… In his video on The Turner Diaries, the Thought Slime dude talks about it very much as nihilistic to the extreme. I can see the “slacker” cynical mentality morphing into just that kind of nihilism rather easily. I don’t think they’re naive at all.

Yeah… it’s gonna be fucking awful. :sob:

14 Likes

He apparently did take a call form Biden, but is refusing to talk to Harris. Typical petty, dick-waving assholery. He is perfectly OK with his own people dying if it lets him appear to put the screws to a political opponent.

16 Likes

“When you’re done, leave,” a cheesesteak restaurant manager told the McCormick campaign, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. “You’re not welcome back.”

McCormick walked across the street to East Bethel Baptist Church, which was holding a fundraiser for its food ministry, but was asked to leave by the Rev. Thomas Edwards Jr. who said he feared the campaign would use photos of his congregation.

13 Likes

Always sardonically bemusing when the @#$!s prove their deranged guilt in a single sentence of ‘defense’ against that very guilt (so it’s “not being into white supremacy to say other than whites are genetically predisposed to violence” …yet, that’s exactly what white supremacy… yeah
-sigh-)

Trump’s ‘Murder Gene’ Comment Sends CNN Panel Into Total Meltdown

ON-AIR FURY

Ex-GOP strategist Scott Jennings pushed back against accusations of white supremacy, saying it’s “perfectly fine” to say people can be “genetically predisposed to violence.” …

Published Oct. 08, 2024 7:36AM EDT

CNN Panel Descends into Total Chaos Over Trump’s ‘Murder Gene’ Comments

Not for the first time, a CNN panel erupted into a heated exchange between participants on whether Donald Trump is a racist.

The bitter war of words came on Monday night’s edition of NewsNight with Abby Phillip after Scott Jennings, a former GOP strategist, said it was “perfectly fine to acknowledge” some people are “genetically predisposed to violence.”

15 Likes

Stikes me that that is another problem, that if she wins, there are going to be some who give her that treatment on the regular. It’ll be the same shit that happened with Obama, but amped up because not only is she Black (and South Asian) but a woman, to boot! :rage:

16 Likes

A lot of shit is based on the now-retracted JP Rushton article linking melanin to violence and sexuality. Anyone familiar with Rushton will not be surprised at the premise, nor the fact that it is full of shit. Nonetheless, the paper was published, and is in the right-wing-osphere promoting racist crap. Gotta love it. Retract it after the damage is done.

Edit: Opted to link the retracted article after all, just so y’all can see how absolutely shit-ful it is.

17 Likes

Thanks for the link, I watched the panel, and it’s good to see corporate media FINALLY letting some commentators say out loud what’s been obvious all along: that Trump has been spewing white supremacist tropes and bile ever since he took that ridiculous escalator ride. The two fascism apologists there had to work pretty hard to get heard (for once).

13 Likes

I’ve seen reporting that Rev. Edwards specifically worried that those assholes might make it look like his congregation was eating pets:

Smart man.

17 Likes
9 Likes

I know that it’s off-topic but I was also upset by the part of that article discussing the AI-generated “baby peacocks.” I did my own image search and sure enough, the fake AI ones outnumbered the real ones.

Whether it’s photoshopped/AI generated right-wing Snoopy, deceptive animal photos, etc. it’s really disheartening how a huge percentage of what we’re seeing online is fake now.

I think I’ll avoid using that “Christ, what an asshole” photoshopped Peanuts panel.

11 Likes

17 Likes

[ETA]

9 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/08/us/politics/harris-trump-poll-national.html

11 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

I saw one of these ads on CNN this morning and was pretty stunned by its content. Not by its component pieces as it was the typical MAGA anti-trans, anti-non-gender confirming, anti-immigrant, and dehumanizing of prisoners rhetoric. It was how it combined all these things together wrapping it up with a tagline of: “Kamala is for they/them; President Trump is for you.”

It made me sick to my stomach.

21 Likes

Robert Reich reminds everyone 45 is a terrible businessman, his lies / cons over the decades, and how he would wreck the economy again if given the chance:

17 Likes

I can only imagine the shitty content… CNN should have refused to take the money for that ad, frankly.

13 Likes