Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

“The Apprentice”: the film Trump doesn’t want you to see

https://www.axios.com/2024/10/08/trump-apprentice-film

9 Likes

I saw that on Fox during the baseball playoffs. It might be the all time most ridiculous political ad.

7 Likes

I have not seen, it but I’m thinking it’s more transphobic and dehumanizing, just from the description in the article…

Now, if you want ridiculous… Daisy…

Bake Off Man GIF by The Roku Channel

7 Likes
12 Likes

“See? They are stealing American jobs, and I just proved it!” Assholus supremus.

13 Likes

“ The estimated value of the three separate shipments was $342,000, or less than $3 per Bible, according to databases that use customs data to track exports and imports. The minimum price for the Trump-backed Bible is $59.99, putting the potential sales revenue at about $7 million.”

He should start a mega church.

14 Likes

Reminds me of the bible salesman Big Dan in O Brother, Where Art Thou?, especially because Big Dan turned out to be a Klansman.

4 Likes

I’m glad the movie is apparently pissing off Trump’s folks but the filmmakers sound like they’re full of shit too.

Though the film is being released less than a month before the 2024 election, the filmmakers have maintained that it’s not a political hit piece and instead offers a nuanced portrayal of the Republican presidential candidate’s early career.
[…]
“By connecting with the characters as human beings, as Ali directed them, as the actors gave the characters the respect they deserved and didn’t just portray them as cartoons like they’re, frankly, mostly portrayed in most most of the media these days, there is a new potential for a new perspective, and I think that’s valuable any time, especially now.”

Oh get over yourselves. There’s no way anyone would be making this movie at all—let alone now—if not for Trump’s political career. The media’s insistence in pretending there’s anything “nuanced” or “respectable” about Trump is exactly how he duped millions of people into believing he was qualified for the job in the first place.

6 Likes

…always liked that they made John Goodman into a cyclops (of sorts) to continue for the loose retelling of the Odysseus/Odyssey epic. (and then, of course, onto the Sirens… clip ) …sorry for the off-topic [bows out]

3 Likes

I feel like he did. With himself as God. Yes, it is a cult.

16 Likes

I am interested in seeing the Trump/Cohn mentorship. Which from some reviews is the first and best part of the film. The second half reportedly doesn’t hold up.

10 Likes
13 Likes

I still have a hard time imagining wanting to see it myself.

Either Sebastian Stan will do a good job accurately portraying Trump as he is/was, in which case watching him on screen for a feature-length film will be incredibly off-putting, or else the portrayal will be more flattering and humanizing than Trump deserves.

Either way it would be a personally nauseating experience.

8 Likes

You do you.

6 Likes

He skipped straight to a cult.

12 Likes
12 Likes

13 Likes

I think he has.

12 Likes

There is something new, and potentially profound, in this sort of attack. For decades, Republicans have successfully portrayed Democrats as out-of-touch elitists. Walz is trying to flip that well-thumbed script by framing his Republican opponent as the patronizing sophisticate and himself as the regular guy who went to colleges no one’s heard of and made his career in the region where he was born. It’s a clever rhetorical tactic. But more than that, it has the makings of a larger political strategy.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/10/08/state-college-voters-democrats-demographic-00182520

12 Likes
9 Likes