Elections 2023 and 2024 (Part 1)

5 Likes
8 Likes

https://archive.ph/6WGxr

12 Likes

The flyers were purportedly distributed by “Virginia Voter Assistance,” which did not appear to exist.

“According to government records, one or more residents at this address has failed to vote in recent elections. Failure to vote may result in a loss of Social Security Income, Medicare eligibility, unemployment benefits, child tax credits, child custody rights, and concealed carry permits,” one flyer said, according to WJLA.

7 Likes

I was very confused by this, until I realized that this (erroneous, ill-conceived and not at all helpful) flier was trying to make people get out and vote. Miyares would not make any move against the ones trying to frighten folks away from the polls. This was wrong, and should not be tolerated. But how 'bout he acts against the misinformation campaigns ongoing? (It is interesting that this group (which may not exist) is described as right-wing. Unless it is just trying to undermine election confidence, that makes no sense.)

Trump’s false election claims in focus in Va. governor race | AP News
Amid baseless voter fraud claims, an entire county election staff quits (nbcnews.com)

9 Likes

The Va. gQp has been pushing hard to get their rubes to get and out and vote almost like they are afraid that many are somehow disheartened about the current state of chaos in the party.

Based on the locations, Loudoun, Prince William, and Fauquier counties, I’d say it was a gQp effort.

From 2018:

Anybody check to see if the paper stock matches?

8 Likes
13 Likes

A Colorado judge this week rejected an attempt by former President Trump to throw out a challenge to his candidacy under the 14th Amendment.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/13/trump-colorado-14th-amendment-insurrection?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=AxiosNews%2Fmagazine%2FPolitics

7 Likes
10 Likes

Sheesh, Kucinich went down the wacko drain too?

10 Likes

Oh…years ago. He was also strongly and consistently anti-abortion rights up until about 2002, when he realized that just wasn’t going to fly in the Democratic Party.

9 Likes
2 Likes
10 Likes

i had to go look at that map. precinct 3 was the one in question. looks like barely anyone in the original district was going to be left in it.

3 Likes

from the pbs article linked by axios:

■■■■■ also will argue that the clause doesn’t apply to him because “the Fourteenth Amendment applies to one who ‘engaged in insurrection or rebellion,’ not one who only ‘instigated’ any action,” Blue wrote.

:exploding_head:

5 Likes

Wow, inverting the “only following orders” plea, into the “I told them what to do and pissed off” defense.

play predictions GIF

9 Likes
2 Likes

What’s happening in Israel now is a disturbing example of what can happen when elected officials use partisan and personal motivations to warp national security. For years, Republicans in Congress have attempted to sabotage what they call the “Deep State.” This includes placing holds on political nominees and castigating diplomats, officers and analysts employed in the government as captives to “Big Woke.” They might see it as political theater, necessary to boosting profiles and fundraising. But as this week shows, there can be a price.

Reporting suggests that the hardline elements of Benjamin Netanyahu’s governing coalition were openly hostile to warnings from the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and security agency Shin Bet that settler violence would increase the security threat to Israel. One Likud member of parliament complained: “The ideology of the left has reached the top echelons of the Shin Bet. The deep state has infiltrated the leadership of the Shin Bet and the IDF.” Another Netanyahu coalition member stated, “We see there is confusion as to who is an enemy.”

Here’s my question: Is Israel a harbinger for the United States? Are we getting a sneak preview of what will happen if Republicans succeed in their effort to exercise more control over the national security bureaucracy?

Bashing political polarization is the first thing they teach you in Centrist Punditry 101. Partisanship is not all bad, however, even in areas of foreign policy and national security. Different political parties will have different national security priorities and preferences. Sometimes an ideological hedgehog clearly sees a threat that no one else notices due to groupthink. Winston Churchill was an isolated political figure in the 1930s because of a series of high-profile policy miscues. Alone among British politicians, though, he correctly perceived the threat posed by Hitlerite Germany. Political ideologies are a natural source of supply for the foreign policy marketplace of ideas.

The problem comes when elected officials and political appointees decide that in order to achieve their desired ends, they need to reduce entire national security institutions to rubble. And let’s be very clear: In 2023, all of the U.S. partisans engaging in such behavior are Republicans.

5 Likes

in a possible bright spot regarding democracy vs fascism, still not completely a done deal, but apparently it’s looking good

one analysis i read said it was outlawing abortion that got people pushing back in large numbers, and showing up at the polls. ( largest turnout in poland’s modern history: 72% )

7 Likes
7 Likes