Elections 2023 and 2024

There really is no comparison in the amount or intensity of coverage. One journalist, Jennifer Schulze, counted New York Times stories related to Biden’s age in the week following the debate; she counted a staggering 192 news and opinion pieces, compared to 92 stories on Trump – and that was in a week when the US supreme court had ruled he has immunity for official acts.

10 Likes

Technically SCOTUS ruled that they both have immunity for official acts, but even the MAGA freaks know that their guy is the only one who needs to be shielded from accountability for his crimes.

8 Likes
9 Likes

Half of this article is about how the party that got the most votes is going to have issues forming a government and getting some acceptable for a PM… WTAF?

11 Likes

Shocked!

7 Likes

i love how mere days ago the pundits were sure the polls were right and that le pen’s party would win.

it seems like they should at least provide some figleaf for why the heck they’re right this time. failure in prediction appears to be no bar against future certainty

7 Likes

Right? And also, focus more on the topic of the article, which is possible corruption in RN! It’s enraging!

7 Likes
16 Likes

15 Likes

To form a government you need an absolute majority (more than half the seats). Being the largest faction is not enough.

An alliance of parties on the left, the New Popular Front, surprised pollsters by coming first with a strong result of 182 seats. But it fell significantly short of the absolute majority of 289 that would allow it to instantly form a government.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Not my point… my point is that half the article, which is meant to be about possible corruption in Le Pen’s party is pearl clutching about the left… :woman_shrugging: That should be a separate article. It has nothing to do with Le Pen’s corrupt ass.

5 Likes

It was probably a report on the latest manouverings over a possible coalition which was rewritten when news of the investigation broke. The Guardian often turns reports about Ukraine or Gaza into wrap-ups of everything that has happened today.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m skeptical.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Biden and Trump are now tied in new Washington Post Ipsos poll.

6 Likes

I continue to think it will turn out to be a huge Blue wave, but that could be the coffee talking this morning. Worldwide, the polls have been way wrong in the fascist direction, and I hope so here as well.

11 Likes

I on’t know. Sometimes I think a lot of people just want to make things easy for Mr. Trump.

5 Likes

Sonofabitch, more of this BS. Biden has a record to run on and accomplishments to prove his point. Trump also has “accomplishments” to prove his. That should be the focus of the discussion, not whether Biden had an off night. This drive to earn clicks with horserace bullshit is infuriating.

13 Likes
10 Likes