Elections 2023 and 2024

He used to complain that Twitter was against him too even though that shitty platform was probably the single biggest factor in getting his political career off the ground.

10 Likes

Agreed. There seems to be a tiny number of Black men throwing their support behind Trump, but it doesn’t seem significant. And Black men seem slightly more likely to vote Republican, but it’s no where near large numbers… I think FD Signifier has done at least one video on Black men and voting? I’ll see if I can dig it up…

Meanwhile, Josh Johnson did a bit of “bothsidering” by talking to 6 Black voters (3 for Trump and 3 for Biden)…

The older gentleman in the cap in the front row seemed to have the best take on Trump…

7 Likes

:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Sure, if you ignore that incumbent presidents during a good economy always win.

10 Likes

nobodies screaming at them online, which they rarely “hear” about anyway. The slow moving Biden coup has provided a good opportunity to see a bit of this in action. These aren’t, mostly, incredibly skilled professionals who have their finger on the pulse, just people who are used to picking up the phone and being heard when they start yelling.

Like how did we go from this, in April:

Longtime Democratic strategist and political commentator James Carville teed off on young voters who are considering not casting a ballot for President Joe Biden on Sunday, warning the “little fucking” 26-year-olds who could doom Biden of the dire consequences if Donald Trump returns to the White House.

“So, I hear this a lot,” began Carville. “‘James, young voters are just not into this. It’s two candidates, one’s in their 80s, one is almost in their 80s, they’re concerned about things that Washington politicians, and you just can’t blame them for-‘ Oh, shit. Fuck you!”
To this:
Democratic strategist James Carville warned Democrats they are barreling towards an election loss in November if they stick with the “idiotic choice” of President Joe Biden at the top of their ticket.

8 Likes

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

10 Likes

As far as historical precedent goes, I don’t think I’ve seen FDR’s fourth term run mentioned. Granted, there’s a lot of noise everywhere to wade through, so I may have missed it somewhere.

I just keep thinking about FDR asking voters not to “change horses mid-stream” and Dewey calling him a tired old man.

He was obviously tired and his health failing at this point, but the majority of the Democratic party supported him. I’ve just been thinking about this lately. Thank goodness there weren’t 24 hour news cycles then.

7 Likes

That’s all well and good, but it’s important to remember, that’s not what we have here.

Until the Biden admin releases information that the president has a health problem, he doesn’t have one and speculation to that end is both ghoulish and unhelpful.

8 Likes

Sorry, I tried really hard to not say something that could be misconstrued, but I guess I did. My comment was supposed to mean I was looking for historical precedent in support of Biden. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Because no one can have a 4th term now (because of constitutional changes) and because the media did not cover health issues of presidents at the time. Woodrow Wilson’s wife essentially ran much of his final term, because he had had a stroke and pretty much the public did not know. This is an entirely different media environment.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

The public didn’t know what was going on with president’s health wise back then. We do know, and we also have vast amounts of disinformation floating about too.

8 Likes

Incumbents tend to win, historically speaking.

What, specifically, are you seeking?

5 Likes

That was clear to me. My response was more of a “yes, and…” than a “no, and here’s why…” :wink:

4 Likes

I posted this in the Biden administration topic, where Doris Kerns Goodwin weighs in on the history of this subject, and it includes FDR:

6 Likes

But no headlines or comments by billionaire actors.

15 Likes

“Resistance historians”? Because she supports the current president, that makes her resistance? It’s not based on what she teaches.

8 Likes

Maybe he should check with actual election workers who would have to deal with this drama?

5 Likes

From the thread:

My cursory understanding of other states is that that deadline may already have passed for some states, or may be in the VERY near future.

I’m not advocating for a new candidate but frankly if any state election agencies can’t deal with a party nominating someone different than the candidate they expected before that candidate is even certified at the party convention then that would seem to be a pretty big flaw in the election system, no? Shouldn’t they have the flexibility to handle that kind of thing several months out even if they’d prefer not to?

3 Likes

I think you’d have to talk to the legislators who passed the laws setting the deadlines in each state, and the DNC who set the convention dates.

Election officials have to work with what they’ve got.

4 Likes

Seems like a pretty insane situation whoever is to blame.

A healthy democracy needs to have procedures in place to deal with the unexpected. What if one of the major party candidates had a heart attack the week before the convention? “Sorry, it’s too late to print more ballots so you’re just gonna have to stick with the guy?”

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to more focus on this, especially since 45 is trying to reverse all of his previous crowing about the GOP’s track record on eliminating rights:

8 Likes