Elections 2023 and 2024

I’m sure all those white Christian cis-hetero suburban families are quite upset about…

Wait, what’s this I’m hearing? Oh. Never mind.

5 Likes

I wonder if there is a way to crowdsource correcting these bullshit purges. In my state, voter registration is public information. You can look up anyone’s name to see if they are registered and whether their registration is valid. Combine that with an online address database, and it seems like a big enough voter advocacy group could quickly cross-reference them to notify people who might not know they were purged and provide information on how to re-register.

The side effect is that it might activate some truly inactive voters.

7 Likes

15 Likes

Talking The Muppets GIF by ABC Network

6 Likes

I think it’s time to accept reality that the outcome of the election and the future of our country (and possibly democracy itself) will come down to a few hundred thousand voters in just 6 states.

As much as it sucks to admit, we all know this to be true. No amount of national polling or media punditry or horserace prognosticating will change the fact that the fate of 330+ million people will be decided by about 6% of the voters.

4 Likes

Mississippi Goddamn:

9 Likes

That takes a lot of agency out of the hands of voters in other swing states. Remember, going into the 2020 race, Georgia wasn’t on that list. There are huge states that could flip that the pundit class have written off - Texas, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina all come to mind. For all their ratfucking to suppress (especially Black) voters, all of those states were within a few percentage points of swinging from (R) to (D).

18 Likes
12 Likes

There might be a political subtext to this outburst of anti-Sikh bigotry. The Indian government has been accused of assassinating Sikhs connected to the Khalistan movement, which seeks to establish an independent Sikh homeland. Being a far-right strongman, Narendra Modi has friends in the MAGA scene who might see the Sikh diaspora as a threat to India and would seize an opportunity to demonise Sikhs.

11 Likes

“betrayed the true God”

Holy shit! A Knight Templar from 1100 would tell these MAGAts to dial it down a bit.

11 Likes

down ballot votes matter a lot - the white house matters of course, but there’s a lot congress could do to push back if both the senate and the house were solid dem majorities, even if ■■■■■ won

( likewise if biden mops the floor with ■■■■■ again, a maga controlled house and senate would be pretty painful )

12 Likes

In addition to what @DukeTrout and @gatto above said, which are both really important points, I also point you to @KathyPartdeux 's comment above about despair as a weapon. People not giving in to that could turn a state like Texas into a swing state. Likewise, people giving in to that despair could turn a solid blue state like New Jersey into a swing state.

So, with all due respect, kindly knock it the fuck off with the defeatism.

20 Likes

Damn straight. As Kathy posted upthread,

16 Likes

And likewise, his writing had themes of hope overcoming despair, and how hope is not blind faith but rather trusting and caring for others in contrast to self-interest.

Another theme from Tolkien I think about in these times is the concept of eucatastrophe - the sudden and unexpected victory over the forces of chaos and destruction.

8 Likes

Nuh, Switzerland will be fine. They always are.

2 Likes

With respect back, acknowledging reality is not defeatism.

Im not saying anything that isn’t true. You can pretend otherwise but this Presidential election is going to come down to about 300,000 voters as has been the case multiple times already.

2 Likes

It’s deceptive, though. It’s not 300,000 voters. It’s millions of voters. You can’t isolate the difference, because in any of the swing states, the voters who determine the outcome aren’t the ones in the margin of difference but the entirety of the voters who voted with them - which is many millions.

And ignoring the other states that are close is also a form of defeatism. Texas flipping from red to blue alone would balance the electoral votes from 2-3 states in that list.

12 Likes

Then let’s work to win those states.

I live in PA & am pitching in. Pick a state - pitch in. Time or money - or both.

10 Likes

nice word!

sigh we could really use an army of the dead right about now.

5 Likes

Ok, well let me ask you this. What’s your point? Because what I’m hearing is, “If you’re not in one of those six states, don’t vote because your vote won’t matter.” And I doubt that’s actually your intended message. At least I hope not. But if it’s not, then I can’t figure out what your point is.

11 Likes