Elections 2023 and 2024

It might not be what you want, but it will be what you are voting for.

1 Like

Stop moralizing.

So long as Trump an acceptable threat to make to me then it is an acceptable threat to make.

I have already survived as what and who I am in the birthlplace of the new america, havenā€™t I though?

What will happen is that more people will be brought into the kind of circumstances I have already survived and continued to survive in. I grew up a marginalized female with addicted poor family in the obedient south, after all, and with that old time religion as well.

This country turns endlessly to marginalized people to carry it and then when one of us succeeds these heavy burdens in neckties are the first to jump off our backs and cry like baby mario.

11 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone finds that hard to grok. Iā€™m not sure who doesnā€™t know that.

The question is whether itā€™s being used as an argument for him not stepping down. Iā€™m just saying I donā€™t think it will convince anyone who is saying they wonā€™t vote for him because of his mental acuity.

I think there are better arguments out there, if thatā€™s someoneā€™s aim. (And all our aims should be in making sure at many people as possible in this country vote (D).)

If thatā€™s not why this constitutional fact keeps being raised, and if weā€™re really just mentioning random constitutional things in passing, then Iā€™m sure there are some Schoolhouse Rock videos I could add to the thread.

1 Like

If youā€™re trans, the subtext disappears entirely and youā€™re explicitly told, ā€œenjoy the campsā€.

12 Likes

FWIW I am not actually going to vote for some one who wants to send you to a camp.

But I do want people to engage with the reality of what they are condemning people to without being able to white knight about it while actively working against our interests. The irony or whatever it is. I just canā€™t take it anymore.

Even more importantly look at how the conversation shifts. When I threaten people with Trump even from a place of disempowerment, suddenly my emotions are appealed to. Suddenly I have power in this argument that I didnā€™t have before. Suddenly I should think of all those poor victims who arenā€™t me when a moment ago they were just inconveniences to winning the election for someone who isnā€™t Biden/Harris. Suddenly I matter to people as more than a statistic. Because I have threats of real violence that even white men fear on my side then. And that is how fascism wins.

Can people stop doing it though? Can people say ā€œyou know, maybe Kamala isnā€™t unlikable Iā€™m just a little racist and intimidated by women who are richer than meā€¦ā€ All the Jon Stewarts of this world need is a little faith and the willingness to close ranks before the right succeeds in breaking them. Everyone who is less privileged needs the mind, body, faith, strength, and interpersonal networks to move a mountain of Jon Stewarts off of the tip of a landslide before the underlying avalanche kills us all.

13 Likes

Maybe all the people insisting that the nominee should be someone else? :woman_shrugging:

Some donā€™t want to say that they donā€™t want a Black woman as president. But there are some who donā€™t, and itā€™s not just the MAGA crowd. Letā€™s not forget 2016 and the bernie-bro meltdown that brought us Trump.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

A few weeks ago I thought we were supposed to sit back and watch the GOP destroy itself under its own corruption and hypocrisy.

WTF happened?

6 Likes

That wouldnā€™t be a good story for the media to run on, so itā€™s ā€œbothsidesā€ until the fascists take overā€¦

9 Likes

The GOP once again flipped the narrative and projected it onto the Dems and collaborators in the Dem party have accelerated the effect due to either avarice or idiocy.

6 Likes

For most intents and purposes the old GOP did destroy itself.

Unfortunately the MAGA party is the thing that replaced it.

6 Likes

Obvioisly sheā€™d be way better than Trump, and most of us will vote for whichever Democratic candidate is the nominee (Iā€™d even hold my nose and vote for Bob Menendez if I had to) but honestly the premise that ā€œHRC is the best possible candidate for this moment in timeā€ sounds more to me like something calculated to generate clicks and engagement rather than a sincere, serious argument.

7 Likes

No more maxi pad? It doesnā€™t look like it was ever needed.

6 Likes

Especially since Biden is the only candidate who objectively proved he could defeat Donald Trump in a general election and Hillary Clinton is the only candidate who objectively proved she could lose to Donald Trump in a general election.

5 Likes
4 Likes

chibird style teddys flying hug circle hearts

I hear you, I understand you, and God/dess knows, I feel you.

I was going to post a long rant about my own feelings on the matter, but I donā€™t think it would accomplish anything besides pissing people off, and Iā€™d rather not do that. Iā€™ll just say, NO, you arenā€™t the only one who feels demoralized and alienated from the political process right now. I donā€™t know what the answer is, but I share the frustration and the pain. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

14 Likes

Yeah. Itā€™s a mess thatā€™s got many of us in at least a muddle. A lack of unity amongst the left is exactly what the right wants, but even knowing that, it can be hard to keep all of my cylinders firing well.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Did they kiss?

5 Likes

None of them are competent. Even prior, less-incompetent Republican administrations crashed the economy, like clockwork. Vance has zero experience governing. Likewise Bannon. All of T****ā€™s inner circle have no idea how to govern; they only know how to tear things down. The economy is doing so well, it might keep moving on itā€™s own momentum for a year or so, but then the crash will come even harder - just like it did in T****ā€™s first term.

4 Likes

FFS, man. Everyoneā€™s already made those arguments and people still arenā€™t listening. The ā€œand if everything else fails, thereā€™s Harris ready to take up the mantleā€ is the last argument among dozens.

The fact that you seized on that and functionally called itā€™s adherents stupid is incredibly shitty and in bad faith.

1 Like