Elections 2023 and 2024

A band that broke up in 1999 and only reunited to play at Biden’s Inauguration. What are the odds of them playing at Harris’ Inauguration?

8 Likes

I was blown away by not only the pairing of Obamas, but also by how Michelle was even better than Barack. She was astonishing! She took on Tromp directly, forcefully and humorously, and she had everyone just, mesmerized. And then moved and inspired. I hope she’ll be on the campsign trail in more appearances with Barack.

14 Likes

I didn’t know they played at Biden’s inauguration! It fit the moment last night, and I’m sure it did at the inauguration, too. Idk if they’d be asked to do a repeat for Harris :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

Release the puppies!! :dog: :tada:

7 Likes

There are going to be PUPPIES?!

7 Likes

I meant the ones in the song’s viddie, but yes, awesome idea!

8 Likes

she was amazing.

one of my favorite lines was about the “affirmative action of generational wealth” - and how hard everyone who isn’t born rich has to work to succeed

but the whole thing was just great

13 Likes

Got a last-minute ticket last night (thanks Covid cancellation?) and I can say without any hyperbole that the last time I was in a place with that kind of energy was election night in Grant Park in 2008. Terrible view and standing room only with an unwise choice in footwear, but it was utterly joyous.

But, also with a focus and sense of purpose and clear direction that has not been this evident for quite some time. The feeling I got again and again was that there was much less fear about Trump winning than a feeling that Harris/Walz/we must/can/will beat the hell out of the weirdos.

This is as anecdotal as it gets, but it was pretty great.

13 Likes

Thanks for the on the ground reporting.

Hope and Joy is gonna beat Fear and Greed!

13 Likes

lol, sorry. I have limited comprehension before coffee.

5 Likes

Now I want to vote for her twice! :laughing:

30 Likes

Secret Service’s “Ground Force One” Presidential Armored Bus Emerges Wrapped For Harris-Walz Campaign

11 Likes

Harris is going to get a huge bump in the polls after the convention.

She’ll definitely be above 50% - my bet is 54%.

15 Likes

So how are you going to vote for the senate seat? For your congressional district? How about state legislature, is that on the same ballot like most places? Heck, even the school board needs your vote!

It’s the small elections that really matter, Marco. Be honest in who you choose to vote for, but vote.

That said, I too am troubled by the bind Biden and Blinken are in, unable to actually move either side, and without any way to help the people stuck between leaders who care little if at all for the people they supposedly represent. So be honest there, express your displeasure, but don’t expect miracles. Help try to move the needle a little, that’s all we can hope for.

14 Likes

This article was a fun read but what was suprising to me was reading that Trump described his reelection as president as “a distinct possibility,” which isn’t the kind of self-confident language that candidates typically use.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Our nation’s political fact-checkers are making a mockery of themselves, going to absurd extremes to find fault with Democrats.

Part of the problem is that they are asking the wrong kind of question.

The right question is not: Is this one particular assertion exactly and provably accurate?

The right question is: Are these people lying to you, or are they telling you the truth?

That’s the key issue that all political journalists should be addressing – not just fact-checkers — because a crucial distinction between the two parties is that the Republican Party is trying to sell the public a series of false narratives and fake solutions, while the Democratic Party is mostly sticking to the facts (with some minor exceptions).

But there’s a structural problem with fact-checking as well. As I’ve been writing for years, the concept of fact-checking is a noble one, but the way it is actually practiced does more harm than good.

That’s because the fact-checkers are so devoted to not “taking sides” that instead of exposing the vast gulf in truth-telling between the two parties, they effectively hide it. SNIP.

18 Likes

15 Likes

Well, there you go, Elon and trump have called it.

15 Likes

Twitter is such a right-wing echo chamber now that they will doubtlessly point to Elon’s poll as proof of election fraud when Trump inexplicably fails to win three-quartes of the popular vote.

13 Likes