Elections 2023 and 2024

I encountered these window washers literally an hour ago. I had no idea of their origin or history until seeing the article you linked. If I had any regrets about overpaying them, I sure don’t now. I do hope they’re careful though, it really is dangerous rushing in and out of the street like that. :frowning:

7 Likes

Sure Don.

13 Likes
13 Likes

I understand the need for this, but why it is needed is infuriating.

12 Likes

question asks GIF

8 Likes

That second option?

I’ll Take It Glass Animals GIF by Billboard Music Awards

6 Likes

spike lee oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

10 Likes

Someone is lying again.

Wow! Just announced that ABC television ratings plummeted after David Muir’s disastrous debate performance. As accurately stated in the New York Post, “ABC debate disaster already punishing ratings, because America is sick of Journalists lies.”

14 Likes
6 Likes

i have no ‘faith’ in national polling done in the last (oh…) twenty years, but there is some information in trends. that is, if one particular polling agency does a poll roughly the same way with a month or so in between then that contains something besides noise (sez me). so NBC:

NBC Poll Has Harris +5%; CBS Gives Harris +4% Lead

Sunday, September 22, 2024 at 7:01:55a PDT

Two US TV News networks show Kamala Harris improving her position in national polls.

NBC News Poll: Harris Leads 49%-44%

www.nbcnews.com/…

The new NBC National Poll has Kamala Harris leading 49% to 44% over Donald Trump among registered voters. In the July version of the poll, Harris led by 2 points. …

this is good. needs to be even bigger to counter the republican dirty tricks, but …this is good [coffee surping sound]

11 Likes

I keep hearing that what REALLY matters is the swing states, that Harris can win the popular vote by many millions but still lose the electoral college, and that Repugnican shenanigans will greatly erode Harris’s support in the crucial swing states, and so on.

Maybe I’m just infected by corporate media messaging or something, but I do wonder what value national polling really has. And thus, whether any sort of lead that Harris manages to gain in them really matters. I remember how convinced liberals were that Clinton was going to beat Tromp in a landslide (and she pretty much did-- in the national vote count).

12 Likes
11 Likes

I actively avoid polling information the way I actively avoid any other toxic and potentially harmful bit of verbiage online. Paying attention to polls has only ever influenced my own personal life negatively fwiw.

I read “Poll” the same way I read “Breaking” in a headline and I implicitly accept that this is essentially a highly collaborative “op ed” that I can hallucinate anything I want into… and then I scroll.

13 Likes

Just as well. “Trump Door-Knocker” doesn’t conjure the image of two awkward people with clipboards and pamphlets.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Letter to the Editor pointing out that we send a message to our kids with our vote:

12 Likes
7 Likes

I have no idea how this will play out and this guy is a democrat in name only but still.

He’s a Muslim and Yemeni immigrant.

He met with trump a few days ago in Flint, MI where they negotiated this endorsement. I wonder what trump promised him.

11 Likes

15 Likes

Probably a firm and solemn promise that the leopards would eat his face last.

12 Likes