Elections 2023 and 2024

continuing the Undecided political toon theme; this recently in the Seattle Times

(which does a disservice to bats, it does)

11 Likes

This was from 2012. :face_exhaling:

18 Likes

“Mail carrier assaulted for delivering mail.”

19 Likes

Maybe it will shake out later, but I’m pretty sure this could involve the Feds, i.e. postal cops (don’t eff with 'em).

18 Likes

15 Likes

18 Likes

TBF they were cheaper when you couldn’t get milk or eggs during the early stages of the pandemic, but also way more expensive when grocery stores did have them in stock.

12 Likes

Gritty’s aunt explains how votes are counted in Pennsylvania.

11 Likes

:thinking:

10 Likes
8 Likes

The problem as always with purging that many voter registrations so late in an election cycle is that the number of errors that will prevent eligible voters from voting vastly exceeds the number of voters who will vote illegally. Less than a handful of voters vote illegally each election, while a 0.1% error rate will deny 700 voters of their vote - or worse, as Florida and Texas have shown, get them in legal trouble for no reason.

12 Likes

Vance knows that abortion isn’t the real reason why families aren’t having more babies: it’s because car seats are so onerous. Excuse me while I go find a brick wall to beat my head against.

15 Likes

"In particular, there’s evidence that the car seat rules that we’ve imposed, which of course I want kids to drive in car seats, have driven down the number of babies born in this country by over 100,000. So as we think about how to make kids safe here, I think we should do it in a way that’s accommodating to American families.”

13 Likes

Yeah, what’s the point of even having kids if you have to keep them “safe,” amirite?! :roll_eyes:

That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC

13 Likes

What’re the odds he’s never actually strapped a baby into a car seat?

12 Likes

Yeah…not quite. Postal Inspectors are armed as they are technically part of the Federal Marshal service.

7 Likes

From 2020, this explains the study. It’s interesting and probably has some merit.

But I think the bigger point is people aren’t having more kids because it’s so darn expensive, whether it’s bigger vehicles to cart them around, food, education, shoes, etc…

I know we never had another child because we could barely afford the one we had and that was 40 years ago.

The actually study.

6 Likes

Not only aren’t those his wife and kids, he’s single and lives alone with his dog. He’s a childless dog dude. Which is fine, but it’s hilarious to me that that’s now unacceptable for a Republican candidate. He also recently got engaged, according to his campaign, which I find a little sus.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Even taking the study’s conclusions at face value it would still only account for a small reduction in families choosing to have three or more children within a given period of time, not the number of couples choosing to have children at all.

These laws significantly raise the cost of having a third child, as many regular-sized cars cannot fit three child seats in the back

The abstract goes on to suggest this might have reduced the number of US births by as much as 8,000 children annually, but that’s barely a rounding error in a country with an annual birth rate around 3.9 million.

10 Likes