Elections 2023 and 2024

His supporters: Yeah, so whst?

From that article talking about the person killed at his rally.

Then, recalling a meeting with Comperatore’s widow, Helen, he made a risky attempt to find humour in the tragedy. “So they’re going to get millions of dollars but the woman, the wife, this beautiful woman, I handed her the cheque – we handed her the cheque – and she said, ‘This is so nice, and I appreciate it, but I’d much rather have my husband.’ Now, I know some of the women in this room wouldn’t say the same.”

As dinner guests erupted in laughter, Trump quipped: “I know at least four couples. There are four couples, Governor [Abbott], that I know and you’re not one of them. At least four couples here would have been thrilled, actually.”

16 Likes

Bit of a weird hit piece. I’m thinking it’s not gonna have legs. :thinking:

Full headline:

As fraud scandals erupt in Minnesota on Gov. Tim Walz’s watch, accountability is in short supply

13 Likes

That’s the only time I’ve heard him make what could be described as a joke and not only is he laughing about someone being murdered but he has to throw in a line about how attractive he finds the widow. And that wasn’t even the worst part of the speech.

We really are in the worst timeline.

21 Likes

John Oliver has a reminder of the stakes of this election…

14 Likes

Booking Kyle to speak at a metal show? Not a good idea.

I don’t know what the purpose was, I suspect campaigning for his buddy.

The festival is a fundraiser and awareness campaign for PTSD and veterans.

The promoter and sponsor are angry at the liberal mob for causing this.

There are statements from all the bands in the article. I don’t know much about metal bands or if this festival is a big deal but it is an interesting situation.

After it was announced that Kyle Rittenhouse would appear as a special guest at the festival, one of the bands on the bill, Evergreen Terrace, pulled out of the event.

Several other bands have since dropped off the lineup

13 Likes

Maybe they’ll call up Varg in france to come play… :roll_eyes:

varg vikernes smile GIF

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

7 Likes
  1. Metalheads, while not monolithic at all, tend very strongly toward “mind your own fucking business.” I was at an Iron Maiden concert a bit ago and Bruce loudly proclaimed that he had no idea what the hell was going on in this country. “Be who you are, love who you love, and leave other people the fuck alone!” I have not heard a better summary of what is a pretty standard attitude from metal fans.

2. From what I could gather, this was not a terribly big deal, but it was a fundraiser and associating with a known grifter and con-man-adjacent asshole is def not a good look. If the sponsor does not understand that, then fuck off.

22 Likes

Mark Harvey, who was Trump’s senior director for resilience policy on the National Security Council staff, told E&E News on Wednesday that Trump initially refused to approve disaster aid for California after deadly wildfires in 2018 because of the state’s Democratic leanings.

But Harvey said Trump changed his mind after Harvey pulled voting results to show him that heavily damaged Orange County, California, had more Trump supporters than the entire state of Iowa.

14 Likes

In fact California as a whole has more registered Republicans than any other single state, including Texas. Not that such considerations should make any difference whatsoever on which Americans get basic aid from their government.

22 Likes

Once again, this is Trump behaving exactly like a dictator.

11 Likes

My wife is on the way back to our campsite, she has to drive right through Flint.

Guess who’s in Flint and guess what the traffic is right now.

Thanks Kamala.

But we’re glad she’s in town.

21 Likes

22 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Seriously, I share that concern full-heartedly. And I hate it.

19 Likes

Does she even know how a bill becomes a law?

20 Likes

so she wants to put doctors out of work then? interesting platform…

5 Likes

There are no untruths on those signs, but the agglomeration makes it look a bit unhinged nevertheless

7 Likes

Big crank energy, as the young folks would say.

6 Likes

25 Likes

HARRISBURG, Pa. – Today, AARP Pennsylvania released its second statewide election survey that shows candidates for President, U.S. Senate, and state races should pay close attention to Pennsylvanians ages 50 and older. Ninety-one percent of voters ages 50 and older say they are “extremely motivated” to vote in this election, a 6-point increase since AARP Pennsylvania’s first poll, released in May.

Vice President Kamala Harris (D) leads former President Donald Trump (R) among voters overall, 49% - 47%, with 2% supporting other candidates and 3% undecided. In the head-to-head matchup, Harris leads Trump, 50% - 47%, also with 3% undecided. There is a large gender gap, with Harris up 19 points among women and Trump leading by 16 points with men. Among voters 50 and older, Trump leads by 8 points, 52% - 44%. Among women 50 and older, the candidates are tied, 48% – 48%, while Trump is favored among men 50 and older by 17 points.

15 Likes

So much worse than CNN’s usual “both-siding.” This article just flat out distorts everything.

They quote someone who knows something, who states something noncommittal and vague about the “scandals.”
Then they quote someone biased against Walz who knows nothing, who makes unsubstantiated accusations, and use that to allege misconduct shockingly beyond what any news source usually does. No use of “allegedly” or other weasel words. Just quoting Republicans and letting those unsubstantiated accusations stand.
Then they bury in the end of the article that the people who were actually accused of committing crimes were indicted and the state workers cooperated with federal prosecutors to make that happen. So when talking with people who actually know what happened, it turns out there was accountability,

And when the article had Republicans talking about accountability? My eyes rolled so hard I might have dislocated something.

20 Likes