Elections 2023 and 2024

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

12 Likes

Fascists need to have the cycle broken, and pre-Fascists need to be educated to prevent the cycle from starting again.

13 Likes

And if a person is in a place where the research is overwhelming, reach out to a friend whose politics you trust to share their thoughts.
I’ve found Ballotpedia very useful for Texas constitutional propositions. We always have a few after the lege meets. This year it’s 7. The “support and opposition” section is very telling

11 Likes

Just going to leave this here for anyone else who may be trying to make sense of these too. I found the interpretations/translations helpful.

10 Likes

Ugh. I was wrong, 14 constitutional amendments.
For any Texans:
Proposition 1 – HJR 126 “The constitutional amendment protecting the right to engage in farming, ranching, timber production, horticulture, and wildlife management.”

This thing is part.of the GOP effort to gut local government rule. There is already a similar law in place. This amendment is exclusively to bolster that law and make it harder to change in the future. It’s badly worded and way too broad. The Humane Society is against, because of the potential for further farm/food animal abuse. Even these people think it’s bad

Also no on Prop 7. The energy fund sounds good, but is intended to bolster more natural gas use instead of clean energy.

11 Likes

The writing is on the wall in regards to trump and the donors are starting to bet on his mini-me for '24…

I predict that the former gov of Md., Hogan, will enter the race as well.

3 Likes

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

10 Likes
12 Likes

A roundup of issues that make it clear why voting (and pushing back against attempts to eliminate voting rights) will be critical in countering GOP goals for 2023 and 2024:

8 Likes
2 Likes

With all the craziness and rumors in the House of Representatives this week I thought that headline was going in a completely different direction.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Looks like RFK, Democrats and Republicans alike have read the writing on the wall and concluded he’s more likely to win over far-right wingnuts than mainstream Democratic voters. So I guess it’s just as well he stays in the race as long as he’s running as an independent?

2 Likes

What’s sauce for the goose…

9 Likes
3 Likes

He was running? Will who?

Mariah Carey Whatever GIF

6 Likes

mixed feelings. any platform for anti-vaxing is probably bad, although this is probably less bad than it was?

best would probably be if he retired so he could spend his remaining days in an off the grid cabin waiting to snap a picture of a sasquatch

9 Likes

“I never played for Democrats or Republicans or independents. I played for all of you,” Garvey said in the video, in which he also alluded to problems vexing the state from homelessness to crime. “It’s going to be a common sense campaign.”

Running as a centrist in the era of MAGAt Republicans? Good luck to you, sir.

4 Likes

Running as, but likely far right.

He did not answer directly when asked if he considered himself part of the Trump wing of the GOP

Don’t answer that with a definitive “No”, you’re not anywhere near center.

11 Likes

Not exactly shocking, although they could have simply not endorsed. But we need to deal with the fact that for our LGBTQ+ mutants, friends and family, this is not a choice between two “just as bad” candidates. This is a choice between one party that will defend the rights of those who are not cis, straight, white, wealthy men, even if not as vigorously as we would like it to, and one that wants them eliminated. That is not a real hard choice, at least in my household. It’s become almost a joke, I know, but vote the assholes out of every damned office they hold. Congresscritter, state house, town counsel, school board or dog catcher. Vote Blue, then press to take them to a more progressive stance. It is the only chance we have.

11 Likes