Elections 2023 and 2024

Confused Power Rangers GIF

5 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

Well, he looks like he’s actually played some basketball. Can you even imagine the orange guy on a basketball court? With those little hands?

:rofl:

4 Likes
3 Likes

So George Santos survived an attempt to expel him from the House (with the help of 31 Democrats for some reason) and, meanwhile Senator Menendez is still sitting pretty, continuing to receive classified briefings on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee even though he’s been indicted, with stong evidence, for being a foriegn agent. And neither one of my own state’s Senators has even suggested that he should resign, let alone push for his expulsion. This is incredibly frustrating. I hold out no hope for sanity in the GOP but the Democrats really need to do better here.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/california-sens-padilla-butler-silent-on-menendez-18424280.php

I called Padilla’s office about this and sent him a message too. Now that Butler has been seated for a couple weeks I should call her office too. She’s already said that she has no plans to run for the seat once this temporary term ends, so she’s got nothing to lose by pushing to do the right thing. Certainly doesn’t need to maintain a good working relationship with Menendez.

5 Likes

The hell? I really don’t get the logic here. “Haha you look so silly with that guy on your side we’re gonna force you to keep him” I guess?

3 Likes

No, it seems that until a verdict comes back, they’re not comfortable expelling someone for what are still just accusations.

4 Likes

Are you talking about a legal verdict in a criminal case? Because:

1 Like

Beau’s theory is that this is a trade: Santos doesn’t get expelled and in return Tlaib doesn’t get censured. This seems cynical and Byzantine to me, but I don’t know much enough about politicking to know if he’s likely right or not.

2 Likes

That’s their story, there is also the in-house ethics report which hasn’t come to a conclusion, it’s probably just a cover story, and I don’t think we’re going to know the actual deal(s) in any reasonable timeframe.

2 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

I got nothing on this.

6 Likes
1 Like

I think that a lot of people are displeased with Biden’s response to the situation in the Middle East (and it really is a no-win for Biden; he’ll be accused of being too pro-Israel and too pro-Hamas simultaneously no matter what he does).

My hunch is that this displeasure is manifesting in the form of more people telling pollsters that they are not so sure whether they plan to vote, rather than turning to Trump. I don’t think that it will affect how people actually vote in a year, but a protracted war could really fuck up the whole world…

6 Likes

That’s my take as well. I remind anyone who mentions this that “refusing to vote for the lesser of two evils” just ensures we get the greater evil, and in this case, that’s a big fucking deal!

12 Likes

Philadelphia sets aside two at large Council seats for the non majority party. This has been the Republicans forever. The Republicans lost one of those to the progressive Working Families Party- it may lose both.

They’ll have one district seat should that happen. There are 17 seats - 7 are at large.

3 Likes

Poor MI-GOP can’t figure out which of their own they’re supposed to attack for what reason anymore. I think the Trump Trials are starting to take a toll.

5 Likes