Elections 2023 and 2024

There was never any real chance of Santos winning reelection. The hope was that the ethics report would be enough to finally prompt legislators on both sides of the aisle to eject him from congress or at least pressure him to resign.

9 Likes

I don’t think that American Keir Starmer (or is Keir the British Joe Manchin?) would do any better than Joe Biden.

3 Likes

from your ABC link:

Significantly, House Ethics Chairman Michael Guest will introduce an expulsion resolution Friday during a pro forma session, according to a source. Reps. Dan Goldman and Robert Garcia plan to introduce resolutions in the coming days as well.

Guest’s motion will kick off a third attempt to oust Santos. With Congress already out of Washington for the Thanksgiving holiday break, that expulsion resolution will not be considered until the next two days of legislative business – Nov. 28 or Nov. 29.

10 Likes

He was one of the people who chose to vote “present” for the last expulsion resolution, so I guess this indicates that at least some people really were waiting for the report to be released, even if it doesn’t contain anything that wasn’t already public. There’s definitely no excuse for anyone to withhold a “yea” vote this next time around.

4 Likes

Sadly, he’s already gotten what he wants out of his time in the House - a lifetime pension and healthcare, so he continue his real job of grifting in style.

4 Likes

Maybe not! It takes 5 years of congressional service before being vested for a pension. Plus, after passage of the “Honest Leadership and Open Government Act” in 2007 pensions are revoked if the member is convicted of certain felonies. So there’s real hope that he won’t get much in the way of benefits once he’s out.

Depending on how his upcoming felony trials go for him he might still get his room and board provided courtesy of the Federal Government for some period of time, but I can live with that. :wink:

5 Likes

at least according to politifact, members only get pension if they’ve served five years, so i don’t think he’ll be getting anything more out of this than his inevitable book deal

eta: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jan/13/viral-image/former-presidents-and-members-congress-dont-get-sa/

4 Likes

Thankfully, no.

And the benefit works like the same as other federal workers. You’re vested at 5 years & the benefit is based upon length of service.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL/RL30631

6 Likes

Good news at least…

11 Likes

No pressure:

7 Likes

Meanwhile…

The concerns were first raised in November 2022, when Univision took the unusual step of interrupting programming to cover Trump’s Mar-a-Lago campaign announcement live. When Biden gave an Oct. 19 prime-time address on Israel and Ukraine, the network cut away from the remarks midway, directing viewers to an online stream of the remarks, according to a Democratic media tracker.

(free link)

2 Likes

this is known and starting to be recognized and lamented in south florida. the cuban diaspora has long been very conservative, but only in the last 8 years has the spanish language radio been called out for seriously right-wing bullshit talking points.
seriously not cool.

8 Likes

Much, much worse, in fact. He’s a houseboat candidate - not a good house and not a good boat.

6 Likes
1 Like

Why bother with a constitution if we’re just going to ignore it?

5 Likes

“Wallace said she was keeping the former president on the ballot because the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban” does not apply to presidents, though she found that “Trump engaged in an insurrection on January 6, 2021 through incitement, and that the First Amendment does not protect Trump’s speech.””

Every other officials are covered- Preznit somehow is not. Some people are more equal than others.

4 Likes

Huh? The most fucking likely and most dangerous person to commit insurrection is an outgoing president. Who the fuck do they think it was written for!?!

5 Likes

“Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal.” —Richard Nixon

4 Likes

Judge completely chickened out & tried to have it both ways. Say he committed insurrection- but hey - don’t ask me to do anything about it.

I imagine it’ll go the the state Supreme Court next?

1 Like

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

11 Likes