Elections 2023 and 2024

And many had to do explicitly with malice. Like the final solution or the elimination of Native Americans.

Even Trump’s handling of Covid was motivated by malice. They weren’t just oopsies.

6 Likes

In that case wouldn’t it be nice if voters had the option to choose between Porter and Schiff in the general election? Because that’s probably what would happen if Schiff didn’t have a strategy to elevate the Republican in the primary.

2 Likes

That’s an unsupported supposition. Elevating the weakest opponent increases the chances of having two Dems in the general.

See how easy that is? The argument for unintended consequences isn’t monopolar.

2 Likes

??

I honestly can’t follow the point you’re trying to make here. According to a ton of political analysts, going up against the GOP candidate in the general is very much the intended consequence of this strategy.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/joegarofoli/article/schiff-garvey-senate-18642502.php

2 Likes

How do you know that supporting the weakest opponent doesn’t make a Dem victory more likely?

2 Likes

Garvey isn’t the weakest Republican candidate in this race. He is the leading Republican candidate in this race.

California’s Senate race will come down to the top two candidates regardless of party. If you’d like Katie Porter, then you should be pissed off by what Adam Schiff is doing.

3 Likes

I care more about controlling the Senate than which of those Dem candidates win.

3 Likes

If Garvey doesn’t make it to the general election then a Democrat is going to win. There is no scenario in which boosting his chances to make it to the general somehow increases the odds that Democrats win the seat.

4 Likes

In that case you should be hoping that two Democrats will face off against each other in the general election for the Senate seat, no?

This race does not work the same way as the presidential race. If Adam Schiff and Katie Porter are the top two vote getters during the primary election then they will be the only ones on the ballot in the general election.

Adam Schiff is trying to change this from a Dem vs. Dem race to a Dem vs. Republican race. Changing a race from one that Democrats are guaranteed to win into one where it is possible to lose.

Even if you think there are situations where Democrats would be smart to create a party advantage by elevating bad Republican candidates, this is not that.

2 Likes

Marge had things to not say.

“I don’t know,” said Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., during a campaign stop for Trump in Greenville, S.C., when asked if Putin was responsible for Navalny’s death.

When pressed by reporters she said, “I really could care less.”

“I am honestly not interested in that discussion,” she added, saying she only wanted to answer questions about the United States.

7 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I think Adam Schiff is making a mistake. If Schiff and Porter make it out of the primary as the top two vote getters, he almost certainly wins in the general over Porter. As the more centrist of the two, he will get more votes from moderate Republicans and Independents. If Schiff and Garvey make it out of the primary, then it’s an old fashioned D vs R race, and it will come down to the Independent vote. Schiff probably still wins, but if Garvey paints Schiff as a “radical leftist” while distancing himself from Trump (I have no idea if he or his campaign manager will be smart enough to do that), then it could be close. I still think he’s being a shit trying to get Porter out of the race in the primary, but I also think it might be the wrong move, strategically.

9 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

5 Likes

Yes, exactly. I can’t see how anyone who wants a Democratic win could defend this strategy. At best Schiff is trading away a guaranteed win for Democrats on the chance that it might increase his personal odds of winning.

5 Likes

The most unrealistic part of that video is that anyone at FoxNews would have the slightest ability to explain concepts like the multiverse, quantum mechanics, and uncertainty anywhere near that coherently.

8 Likes

Good Point Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

But I suspect it’s also part of the humor, too…

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s llike the old SNL skit of super-genius secret agent Regan…

6 Likes

That’s one of my favorite all time SNL sketches.

6 Likes

It is fucking brilliant…

5 Likes