Elections 2023 and 2024

Makes sense to go for it; just because the state is home to a bunch of awful Republicans doesn’t mean it’s unwinnable. After all, Gore came within a few hundred votes of winning Florida in 2000* even though Floridians had recently voted in the Republican Presidential candidate’s brother as governor.

*Or possibly did win, depending on whose vote tallies you are inclined to believe.

8 Likes

If you’re raising more money- make your opponent have to spend more in places he thought were safe. He’ll have less to spend in tighter states.

9 Likes

Not to mention the impact it would have on Trump’s mental state to see all those pro-Biden ads on his home turf.

8 Likes

Surely not in Palm Beach!

11 Likes

If there happens to be a billboard within view of Trump’s bedroom window then the Biden campaign could probably give him a brain hemorrhage just by buying it out between now and November.

11 Likes

Not particularly. Nebraska Republicans have made clear their “reasoning” and it simply won’t hold up in court. It’s smart for Maine to be prepared to counter in case the timing goes badly for judicial review, but it shouldn’t take long for a court to differentiate partisan malice vs. valid legal exclusion of a candidate (like T****) from the ballot per 14Asec3.

3 Likes

ooh! ooh! make it one of those LED digital bilboards that only plays loops of Biden’s greatest hits, interspersed with 20 second images of “Dark Brandon” with the glowing red eyes! :rofl:

8 Likes

I don’t think this story is about excluding anyone from the ballots in different states. (That IS being discussed by election officials in states like Washington, Ohio amd Alabama but that’s a different story.) This is about Nebraska potentially changing their electoral college rules to make it winner-take-all, which is less democratic but it’s also the system that every other state other than Maine has in place already. It would potentially give Trump all 5 electors if he wins Nebraska, rather than the 4 that he got when he won the state in 2020.

3 Likes

But we’ll never know, because the bush team staged a riot to stop counting the votes, and the supreme court OK’d it, and the political class just shrugged their shoulders at the coup and carried on.

8 Likes

I was using the ballot issue as a counterpoint, not a direct comparison. I know Maine and Nebraska are proportional allotment and that’s why Maine was relevant. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Except I’d say we do know, because analysis was done afterwards that showed:

Based on the NORC review, the media group concluded that if the disputes over the validity of all the ballots in question had been consistently resolved and any uniform standard applied, the electoral result would have been reversed and Gore would have won by 60 to 171 votes (with, for each punch ballot, at least two of the three ballot reviewers’ codes being in agreement).

And that both the uncontested undervote and overvote ballots skewed heavily towards Gore.

2000 United States presidential election recount in Florida - Wikipedia.

6 Likes

Some videos of the Biden/Howard Stern interview are up on Stern’s YouTube channel

6 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
10 Likes

It’s so clearly a delay tactic. Just move forward with the trials already and let the issue be dealt with in appeals like any other criminal trial. FFS!

12 Likes

Gaetz gets primaried…

Gaetz gets last-minute primary challenger in Florida

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4629308-gaetz-primary-challenger-florida-aaron-dimmock/

Aaron Dimmock filed to run as a Republican in Gaetz’s district last Friday, the qualifying deadline for federal and judicial candidates in the Sunshine State.

Dimmock is the only Republican challenger against Gaetz this election cycle and will face off with the incumbent in Florida’s Aug. 20 primary

11 Likes

this is still District 1, florida panhandle (baja alabama). any republican from there will likely hold many of the same unsavory attitudes of gaetz.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Welp, MTG followed through on her threat against Johnson. His only move is to play nice with Democrats, so it’s pretty much guaranteed to hurt her party.

13 Likes

Don Jr. floated this for a vice president choice…

“I mean they’re very friendly, I think they agree on virtually all of these things. They certainly agree on stopping the never-ending wars. And so, I would love to see that happen. That would certainly be a contender,” the former president’s son said.

He was talking about Tucker Carlson.

9 Likes