Elections 2023 and 2024

Interesting. Part of me wants to wish her luck, but my trust in anyone in the Republican Party is at zero at the moment. It wouldn’t shock me to see her flip her positions on abortion and Trump if she’s elected. It’s happened before.

12 Likes

And then there’s this guy, who thinks women have gotten “too mouthy”.

13 Likes

Get used to it.

9 Likes

It’s just disturbing because this guy first rose to prominence as a mental health advocate in the NBA, then a BLM activist in Minneapolis after George Floyd’s murder, and now he’s a full blown Trump supporter and protege of Steve Bannon. How the fuck does that happen?

12 Likes

He was always an opportunist who was looking for personal advantage?

12 Likes

Or misogyny overrides all? I tend to lean that way in these cases.

13 Likes

Wow. His own grandfather doesn’t support his candidacy.

There is one part that has always stuck with me from that piece. For it, Eamon talked with White’s grandfather, Frank White, an elder statesman in the Minnesota sporting scene.

“I’m proud of my grandson, but do I agree with his politics? No,” White told us at the time. “He told me, ‘Hey grandpa, I’m going to be on Steve Bannon’s podcast.’ I said, ‘Do you know who Steve Bannon is, man?’” White continued: “There’s no way I can support my grandson supporting the GOP, and in essence, Trump. This is a guy who wants to be a dictator. Think about what that means. You’re a person of color. Do you think you fit in his plans?”

16 Likes

That name made me do a double take. There’s a different Frank White who is an elder statesman in the Kansas City sporting scene and who is active in Democratic politics in Kansas City. Definitely not the same man, though.

8 Likes

[ETA]

7 Likes
10 Likes

Giant middle finger to you, Ohio.

Love, Michigan.

[Seriously, I didn’t grow up here, but they sure don’t give you any reason to love them as neighbors. Yes, yes, Gerrymandering, I know. Fix it. We did. You have the ballot measure tool at your disposal, use it.]

7 Likes

Looks like the DNC told them to fuck off.

12 Likes

DNC isn’t required to play the GOP’s stupid reindeer games, nor should they try.

11 Likes

13 Likes

That’s understandable.

What I can’t understand is why so many of these young people then seem to decide that the right thing to do is to sit by and do nothing to try and prevent the election of a man, who is explicitly running on a platform of making everything they care about worse.

5 Likes

Don’t trust media to reflect that accurately. What they get right is that young people are more politically aware and active. What they get wrong is that they are somehow also stupid.

The tell is when media pundits forget…pretty much all of history like above.

ETA: looking at how this poll was structured, at least it was a voluntary, online poll instead of a phone push-poll. But my criticism is in how the questions were written. They appear to be leading questions rather than neutral questions. Basically, from the polling questions, it sounds like they were written by a Matt Taibi-type, looking to drum up negativity against Biden rather than actually trying to figure out what people’s opinions are.

10 Likes

That’s where I am. I truly understand the frustration with what Biden has done (and not done) in regards to Gaza. I cannot go along with “and there is no difference between the two.” In every way that means anything, Il Douche is worse by orders of magnitude, and anyone who considers the plight of LGBTQ, racial and religious minorities, women, students, anyone not steeped in MAGA, should be able to realize that defeating Trump is of paramount importance. And yes, even if that means electing Biden. I have to add, after reading @DukeTrout 's comment above, I do have faith in the ability of our youth to navigate this maze without too much difficulty.

9 Likes

Oh, if it was just media, I’d be less frustrated and concerned. But I keep seeing that attitude online, from young queer people even, in places like Tumblr. Obviously, internet amplifies loud minorities and makes them seem disproportionately large and influential, but it’s still weird and makes me feel anxious.

How I wish I could not give a shit about the US politics! But living in a country next door to Russia, and with climate change and everything else going on, whatever happens there is going to have a big impact over here anyways.

6 Likes
8 Likes

South Africa is voting today…

12 Likes