Elections 2023 and 2024

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

If the media isn’t reporting on what is coming out of various Democatic campaign, whatever they’re saying, then it’s not just a messaging problem on the part of the dems, it’s a coverage problem.

And then that gets turned into coverage on the media… this is in part driven by the need for ratings…

8 Likes

Apparently, there are a lot of clicks to be gained by casting Democrats and the Biden administration as clueless, bumbling, and incompetent:

https://muckrack.com/brianbeutler/articles

:roll_eyes:

Part of the problem, full of unhelpful “advice” and negging - maybe we need a term for journalists like this…or a companion topic for Fucking NY Times. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Indeed! The goal seems to be to break everything down into simplistic narratives… that the Dems are afraid to go to the mat, that the GOP is willing to play dirty and are now a “populist, working class party” (go fuck yourself David Brooks), that the Democratic coalition is in trouble over Gaza, that the economy is still being driven by inflation, etc, etc… It’s not helpful, and the reality is that most people can indeed hold complicated stories about the world in their heads, but that’s not what they’re being given by the media. For all it’s faults, that’s why I still prefer NPR to other mainstream news outlets, because they tend to have far more complicated stories and they do better with digging a bit deeper (especially if you listen to shows other than the flagship news shows). My station carries On the Media,and that is almost always well-worth listening to…

Season 2 Idea GIF by Portlandia

8 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

Fascists need to be voted out wherever they can be. This Nazi revival shot needs to end.

12 Likes

Could it be true that there are people who didn’t care about all of the other stuff but care about felonies?

11 Likes

Huffpost is just printing whatever the Nikki Haley campaign hands them. Or they are just huffing something.

4 Likes

Look on the bright side. This whole kerfuffle is sure to sway dozens of voters in swing states, and that’s what this whole election is going to come down to.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

8 Likes

I imagine it might be less “didn’t care” and more “didn’t pay any attention”. It seems to me that many - most? - American independent voters are deeply ignorant about politics and current events beyond what immediately impacts them, if even that.

6 Likes

Another thing to remember is that the electorate is never quite the same from one election to the next. So even if every existing voter refuses to budge on which party they intend on supporting, there are always a bunch of first-time voters who may not be locked down yet.

9 Likes

I mean, how many people could there possibly be who (after all this time) are actually on-the-fence about someone as polarizing as D. Trump? All that money, time & effort to sway what is, granted, a nonzero amount of voters, but I’m convinced they aren’t a sufficient number to sway anything.

I have to keep reminding myself (& I’ve said it before) that the real purpose of political advertising/campaigning is to persuade as many people as possible not to vote at all, which leaves only the true believers to vote, and which most certainly could sway an election.

They can point out any number of verifiable horrible & true things about Trump, but I don’t believe it will change a meaningful number of minds about how they already feel - after all this time - about a loud-mouthed, bullying, bigoted gameshow host who plays a blond billionaire on the TV.

I’m not sure I had (or remember) my point, here - I’m not sure this is a distinction with a difference, in the sense that on Nov. 6 we’ll either wake up very happy or very upset. Anyway - I don’t think the issue is whether a couple of 100 voters throughout the country have yet to make up their minds about voting for Trump, but whether millions have made up their mind whether to vote at all.

8 Likes

Can you imagine if the democrats set up a website like this.

From that website…

Do your part to guarantee we win by more than the Margin of Fraud by casting your vote

He didn’t accept losing by 7 million votes, what the heck is his idea of margin of fraud?

7 Likes

whatever he loses by? Because of course, REAL Americans only vote for him and the MAGA candidates, so literally ANY votes for Democrats is a fraudulent vote.

9 Likes
6 Likes

I thought the swamp was bad and needed to be drained?

5 Likes
12 Likes

Finding yet more ways to shut out voters from decision making.

10 Likes