Elizabeth Warren on marriage equality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/11/elizabeth-warren-on-marriage-e.html

15 Likes

A+ delivery.
The pause, the added, “assuming you can find one,” and then the weary walk-away with the slight head-shake.
giphy

Edit: I’ve seen a lot of stand-up comedians who could learn something about delivery and timing from her.

40 Likes

It’s answers like this that make me think she’d chew up Biff’s bullying and spit it back in his orange face.

34 Likes

“You support warren but don’t believe in equal rights? Are you sure you understand the core concept of Warren’s platform?”

17 Likes

I saw this earlier, it was very good. And I say that despite my increasing misgivings about “marriage equality” as a mainstream political topic.

For me, the issue is not whether straight people scrupulously use the correct language about me, or whether they believe my relationships are equivalent to their own. My only political demand of the majority is that they understand what is and is not their fucking business. Provided you get that part right, then by all means knock yourself out feeling disgusted by me.

And I think Warren’s answer hits that nail on the head. She’s not lecturing that hypothetical meathead, or condescending to him for not having a PhD in gender studies from Sarah Lawrence; she’s just saying it’s none of his business, which is the right answer, in language anyone can understand.

40 Likes

Damn it, Senator Professor Warren! Just stop it! There’s only so much I can love you before my heart explodes! Are you trying to kill me?!

15 Likes

shade

5 Likes

The comments for the YouTube video of this exchanges…[shudder]. I flagged more hate speech in that one thread than in all my history commenting, everywhere. I need a shower. A Silkwood shower.

11 Likes

“Assuming you can find one.”

All but calling the person a useless incel. But in a classy way.

9 Likes

Personally, I think gay sex is kinda gross. Which is why I don’t intend to have any. But that does not mean I feel any desire to prevent others from getting some. And my feelings DEFINITELY do not justify trying to get the state to prohibit it, or keep same sex couples from marrying.

2 Likes

Hear hear.

3 Likes

Yea, it is the right answer. I’ve always tried to frame it like this as well using the real life situation of a neighborhood. “If two women or two men live on the block in the same house and are married (or not married and a couple) why do you care?”

9 Likes

The questioner was a Warren donor. It’s likely that this was a planned and focus-tested response.

4 Likes

When people say this “ewww” I think, who asked you? That’s demeaning. No gay person I know has EVER put their sex practices in my face as a graphic thing for me to say ewww to. They’re not here for our approval or disapproval. So I say, keep it to yourself.

10 Likes

As a bisexual person, I don’t get that, but as far as I understand from my gay friends, the feeling is mutual wrt being grossed out by breeders. At least for some of them.

10 Likes

You know what’s weird? Thinking about other people fucking. Like, not ME fucking. Other people fucking. Not watching it. THINKING about it. If you think about it, and it’s not you participating in that fantasy, it’s a giant eww no matter who it is or what they’re doing, because it’s not YOU.

Whenever I hear straight guys going EWWW at gay sex, I wonder, “As a salve to your poor mental wounds, do you LIKE sitting around thinking about your dad boning your mom?” I don’t. EWw! What’s wrong with you? ALL sex that doesn’t involve you is full of potential eww, and some that does, too!

So again, I think the socially responsible default here is keep it to yourself.

8 Likes

I assumed as much. But still

1 Like

You mean anal sex and blow jobs? How is that any different from what hundreds of millions of straight people do?

So you’re also against hetero sex too?

6 Likes

Even if not a donor, he’s the chair of the HRC board of directors. I think it’s safe to assume this was planned, but it’s still a great response. I’m not sure it was necessary, though. I mean, I’m sure there are still some socially conservative Democratic voters out there, but it’s a small minority. And socially conservative independents and Republicans are mostly also fiscal conservatives, so it’s highly unlikely they’d support Warren even if they hate Trump. She was speaking to her base here.

1 Like

The republican party has no real animating financial principal aside from transferring money from lower classes to the rich oligarchy. That’s not really fiscal conservatism.

10 Likes