Elk is in no mood for a crowd of Colorado tourists — so she bites off the tip of young boy's finger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/08/elk-is-in-no-mood-for-a-crowd-of-colorado-tourists-so-she-bites-off-the-tip-of-young-boys-finger.html

5 Likes

police sketch of the suspect cervid:

9 Likes

I wouldn’t assume the injury was due to any aggression from the elk. I imagine feeding an elk by hand is a lot like feeding a horse by hand - if you don’t keep your fingers out of the way the animal can wind up grabbing them along with the food entirely by accident. Most young kids aren’t going to know that.

18 Likes

Maybe there needs to be some kind of entrance exam to get into National Parks. Have some multiple choice questions and if they answer “Feed the elk my child’s tender, vulnerable digits” or “Try to headbutt the bison to assert dominance”, they get to go vacation somewhere else.

7 Likes

Let’s send them to Honey Badger National Wildlife Preserve.

9 Likes

Buffalo Bison GIF by Planckendael

11 Likes

møøse Ělk once bit my sister brother

13 Likes

What were they thinking? Elk are huge! Not as big as moose, but big! Forget finger, I’d be worried about the thing taking my hand off.

11 Likes

I got to see elk when I was in Colorado. I kept my distance though, I’m not stupid.

6 Likes

Don’t you live near KC? You can go see elk in Lee’s Summit. Those are protected behind a really tall fence, though.

7 Likes

See more touron posts on Boing Boing here.

And on the bbs here!

10 Likes

And now it has a taste for hunan blood…

12 Likes

Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

Yeah, I did go there once with the kiddo. I should do it again.

I still haven’t made it to the Truman Library. :confused: It’s one of those things that its there, you just don’t make the time.

My parents live in Augusta, KS, and my dad driving around on the country roads found a guy who has 3 or 4 elk on his property. Not sure just to have or for meat later or what or what.

Elk USED to be native to Kansas.

4 Likes

Or a taste for Dijon mustard and sauerkraut. I’ll bet we taste better with all of the fixins. Can’t really blame the elk for tourons. :crazy_face:

(Sure, elk are vegetarians.)

3 Likes

I finally went just a few months before I moved to New Jersey. Definitely go check it out. It’s worth it. I’ve been to two Presidential libraries: Truman’s and George H.W. Bush’s. I would like to visit all of them at some point, although if Trump ever builds one, I’ll skip it.

6 Likes
7 Likes

11 Likes

Do you want wendigos? Cause that’s how you get wendigos.

7 Likes

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

6 Likes