Elon Musk openly tells his 121 million followers to follow QAnon

17 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. I’m not sure why people keep trying to slander muppets…

12 Likes

Sure. I think he’s showing us a couple things. One is that he’s a right-winger. No doubt. The other is that he’s never been a very good businessman. He got trapped into buying Twitter because he’s a bad businessman, and can’t get out. To salve his “reputation” and his ego, he needs to be able to point the blame at others for his own failures. Some of the moves he’s made with Twitter are so astoundingly stupid they beggar belief–and aren’t linked to being politically shitty.

7 Likes

I don’t know… seems to me like this is assuming he’s still one step ahead… But where is the evidence of that? Especially since the government has been real slow to actual regulate social media companies… Sure, there has been some hearings, but what’s actually come out of it? Not much…

Could be he’s just a bad businessman. Given his other ventures, that seems more likely to me.

12 Likes

On the other hand, he has a true gift for taking credit for other’s ideas. So there’s that…

16 Likes

Reality doesn’t matter to these people, though - I’m seeing qanoners congratulating Musk for now “protecting the children” when in reality he had just gotten rid of almost all the employees who did that kind of work at Twitter. I wouldn’t be surprised if his involvement with Saudi Arabia got turned into a belief that he had ended Twitter’s involvement with Saudi Arabia.

Best case scenario, he’s tr0lling. I.e. he doesn’t believe it (all), but he wants to push people in that direction because he believes some of it. But the distinction between believing it all and believing some isn’t useful or meaningful. One way or another, he has embraced the politics.

9 Likes

And the Rule of Goats applies.

15 Likes

It’s worth a reminder that Qanon got all this “the storm” stuff from a TV ad for a toy

12 Likes

He’s going to wind up paying a fine after funding some right-wing terrorists

3 Likes

It’s really much more likely that they’ll frag him.

9 Likes

The level of delusion and idiocy in that thread is so vast, I wonder how those people hold jobs, or feed themselves.

I knew there were dumb people before the internet, but the internet bringing them together to high five each other for being one IQ point over a vegetable is a Lovecraftian horror he couldn’t have stomached.

7 Likes

Just so we’re clear- the tweet is not about rabbit holes, as is a common metaphor for various conspiracies.

It’s “follow the white rabbit” expressed as an emoji. That is explicitly and specifically QAnon jargon. No need to give him any benefit of any doubt here.

17 Likes

Yeah, in the end it is just driving trollies for attention. Tossing baited hooks out to see who bites.

It reminds me of the “Strokes” model from when I was learning multimedia design, that people want to receive a stroke from others: the stroke can be a caress, or a painful spank, the main thing is you are engaging with them. The idiot owner of Twitter is now doing whatever it takes to get people to notice him, to actually visit Twitter to see for themselves what the fuck he did this time.

And in the meantime, his hunger for attention has exposed him as the idiot we previously only suspected.

Fuck it.

I’m done with Twitter. BoingBoing BBS is my last remaining social network.

14 Likes

I get a sickening feeling that the Qanoners are the child abusers who want to protect their “property”, want to be left free to molest children the old fashioned way. Their obsession and their aversion to dealing with actual abuse is simply unsettling.

11 Likes

So it’s a kind of cultivation without merit thing? Just growing the month-old coconut fungus of distrusting parties to government but not enforcement?

Is this committed anarchism? Orthodox Idiocy? A missed turn in neural maintenance after a regimen of 91 supplements and some meth?

8 Likes

3 Likes

This one is the most likely, after “just plain mediocre white idiot.”

7 Likes

Holy shit - i have never seen that ad, and I swear to god, if you told me it was an SNL skit I’d believe you.

4 Likes

Thank you. Seriously, once again, if I wrote this in dystopian fiction, my creative writing teacher would say the Q cult and their worship of Q and/or trump was a too “on the nose” parallel of the golden calf. I’m sick of reality being too cliche for a dystopia.

7 Likes

Anybody remember Chad Wolf? Far too obvious a name for a fascist douchebro.

2 Likes