Elon Musk says unhappy Tesla workers should just "pretend to work somewhere else"

correct. but hey, at least they don’t work on the factory floor, or for a game company like epic

In a dozen interviews conducted by Polygon over a period of several months, current and former employees say they regularly worked in excess of 70-hour weeks, with some reporting 100-hour weeks.

tech companies - including places like tesla and probably space x - want to use the employee’s love of the product against them. and without unions or government protection… it’s very common

11 Likes

First thought: You don’t have to pretend, when you do work somewhere else, for someone who isn’t a dick. He’s just as much as told everyone to do that.

Second thought: so… he’s basically straight up stating that as far as he’s concerned, work is performative. If no-one is watching you perform a necessary task, then you didn’t do it.

Which pretty much sums up the difference between him and the employees at Tesla: their job is to do their jobs. His job is to turn up and be seen. He really, literally, doesn’t understand that there’s a difference between those. He really thinks that everyone’s job is just like his job, and that being seen is the job.

And here I thought it was because nobody was answering his calls when he was looking for the next place to couchsurf. For some reason, other people get in trouble when they literally live in the office.

13 Likes

Future Man has plunged full-on back into the Industrial Revolution. Get this guy a pocketwatch, cravat and some huge muttonchops and the image will be complete.

14 Likes

That’s the thing about this kind of treatment; it can find the best staff, with pinpoint accuracy. They’re the ones who can most easily get better conditions elsewhere, and jump first.

13 Likes

Weird flex in an economy with severe skilled staff shortages. Great time for his competitors to poach the best workers!

Now I’m wondering if he’s shorting his remaining Tesla stock. :face_with_monocle:

15 Likes

I’ll play along with Elon’s game of pretend. When I am eventually in the market for an EV, I’ll get one from another company and pretend it’s a Tesla.

imagine spongebob squarepants GIF

On second thought, I’ll get one from another company and be happy it’s not a Tesla.

22 Likes

Bold words for someone well known for being a union buster.

For someone who’s salaried, why should they have to work more than 40 hours? Not like they are making more money.

And for those factory workers that he’s asking so much of, I really hope they are getting paid overtime.

Christ, what a self-absorbed asshole.

“Tesla: our work life balance sucks” is an definitely interesting strategy for attracting and retaining talent.

HR’s job is to protect the company, not the employees.

16 Likes

I forgot to add one detail about this former President of the company I worked for. While he made us work 60 hours a week, he never got to work before 9 am, and usually left at 3 pm to go play golf. I wonder how often Musk actually goes into the office?

10 Likes

If he lives at the company, how can you tell if he’s slacking off?

Feet up on the couch, watching TV, eating Doritos? “I’m at work.”

10 Likes

Homing from work, you mean?

12 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does in fact spend more than 40 hours a week at his various companies, but whether he does or not is his choice. He’s very publicly demonstrated that he’s a terrible husband/boyfriend/father who has virtually no relationship with most of his kids. How he wants to live his own life is up to him, I guess, but no reason to force his employees (who have much less to gain financially than he does) to sacrifice their family lives as well.

13 Likes

Musk himself will, of course, pretend to work wherever he pleases.

8 Likes

Their designs and manufacturing isn’t too hot either.

The company tries to do an end run around the recall process with NDAs for purchasers.

10 Likes

I’ve also heard that he’s said he doesn’t own an apartment or home. So, living at his office isn’t necessarily a sign of “working really hard,” but more of a necessity of being a homeless billionaire jack off.

11 Likes

He certainly makes a lot of claims about not owning property and living a super humble lifestyle but that doesn’t mean it’s all true:

10 Likes

Wait, you mean he LIED to us?

inconceivable

6 Likes

I’ll concede that Elon Musk is very smart. However, I would never hold him up as an individual who is wise. Intentionally making enemies is never a strategy for long-term success. Especially when the people you are alienating are in a position to sabotage your business.

2 Likes

I prefer “cunning”. His intelligence is in one specific field of endeavour, in which he has been very successful: using the technical skills of other people and claiming credit for it. He is not an engineer. He is not a coder, or a scientist, or a technical guy, or even a futurist. He is a rich kid who bought a company doing things he thought was cool, and spun that into a myth that he’s somehow responsible for it happening.

And when you’re playing at that level, making enemies is guaranteed. Whatever you do, someone’s going to hate you. What Elon does is cultivate his enemies. And then wave his enemies around as evidence of something or other, to cultivate favour with other groups. “These guys hate me, so I must be doing it right.”

17 Likes

So Elon is following the same path as DJT? Fortunately, he can’t become the CEO of the USA.

8 Likes

Until your fascists pass the Schwarzenegger Amendment, of course.

3 Likes