Elon Musk takes control of Twitter, fires top management

First thing the white South African did was to fire two POC ? Not a good look.

15 Likes

They should have listened to what the algorithm was telling them.

14 Likes

Everyone who was ever mean to him, I bet.

2 Likes
6 Likes

There are lists of Facebook domains that can be used at the router or in /etc/hosts to completely remove them from your Internet and prevent them from building shadow profiles.

One of a number:

There ought to be similar ones for Twitter.

19 Likes

He fired a number of executives

“You are fired for allowing someone like me to take over the company.”

17 Likes

I love that movie.

3 Likes

Or to whom he might owe money as part of taking the company private.

I wonder which option he’ll choose…

11 Likes
17 Likes

How long before the pedo freeze peach guy starts blocking/banning people or groups that he disagrees with?

/starts stopwatch app

eta: The best part will be when the SEC tells him that he’d better not tweet at all.

15 Likes

Boebert tweeted freedom for twitter users and then a couple posts down her post was flagged with facts.

I guess the algorithms haven’t been deleted yet.

6 Likes

But entirely expected, given the racist shitshow that his other businesses have proven to be, and the fact that his family profited off of apartheid to build their wealth. This is no big surprise at all. He’s a racist. And he is now in charge of one of the biggest platforms in history.

15 Likes

Which is the crux of the problem. Other people make them a place to spread disinformation and hate, and without active direction and supervision, it drags the entire platform in that direction.

The amount of energy required to re-tweet some hateful crap by TFG is so low compared to the number of people it reaches, it’s practically frictionless. How many pocket 'puters come with some social media app pre-installed and unremovable? That kind of unfiltered reach to a captive audience, on a platform where bad human behavior is gamified and anonymity builds courage… ugh.

Just because the Nazis are parading one street over from my neighborhood doesn’t mean they are not my problem.

Muck Fusk and his stupid games. I barely use Twitter except for reading behind the walled garden at times. This just reduced its worth even more.

11 Likes

But you don’t get rid of the street, you get rid of the Nazis.

I have no idea how to clean up any individual platform and any new platform will be overrun in a short time but I don’t believe getting rid of social media is the solution.

3 Likes

31 Likes

“Could?” Try “will.”

4 Likes

In case you’re looking to jump ship and go over to Mastodon, here’s some things to keep in mind:

1. It’s decentralized! There’s no one singular jumping-on point, there’s thousands, and each one interacts with the fediverse as a peer. The server you sign up on is where you make your home. You’re not stuck there, though, hop around and try new ones if you like until you find one you love, whether it’s due to their policies, a catchy name, or the community on the local timeline.

2. You only need to sign up once. There’s thousands of servers, but you can interact with them all from a single account. No need to sign up for multiple accounts across several servers to see it all. (Unless you want to maintain multiple accounts with different follows, of course.)

3. Remote user posts and profile info might be slow to load. This is a consequence of decentralization, where it can take some time for servers to talk to each other about things, which they only do when they see a need. There’s no central authority to pull data from, it’s spread out all over the place. So you might not see replies or profiles might not be accurate - you can look at the remote site directly by clicking the timestamp to get an accurate view.

4. Be nice. The culture is different, at least in the circles I’ve been running in. Leave snark, dunking, cynicism at the door, or if you’re trying to make a joke, mark it as such so people don’t get the wrong impression. Like joining any new community, observe the people who have been there a while to get a good feel of the culture. (Many of the negative experiences I’ve seen are from waves of new users who flood in and, like disrespectful tourists, get a feel of how to act in the place only from each other, not the locals.)

5. Avoid the flagship mastodon.social. While it can show you how the software works technically, it’s way too big to have any kind of community and it’s been criticized for not being well moderated. For that reason, many of the other servers I’ve been involved with have some sort of blocking with it, needed to prevent harassment of their users, such that posts from mastodon.social don’t make it out to other users unless those users follow that m.s account explicitly. Community and mutual interest is a strength of the fediverse, so I would recommend finding one.

6. Know that hardly anyone you know will be there, and there will not be tons of bots using the service as a glorified RSS feed. Know that there will be no algorithm pushing you to content. You will most likely have to start over manually, finding interesting people to follow and befriend, the hard way, over time.

7. If it’s not for you, that’s okay. Unlike twitter or facebook, we don’t want the service to become something people are forced to use in their daily lives. Just recognize it for what it is, and try not to add to the negativity by bashing it for what it’s not.

8. There’s somewhat of an ongoing antagonism with the creator and maintainer of mastodon (the software that runs on servers, not the service as a whole), who has his vision for what he wants the software and network to be, and that can clash from what the community actually wants. Avoid the official mobile app, it hides features in the name of presenting a simple UI; there’s a bunch of open-source ones that work much better. There are many compatible servers that interoperate seamlessly, so there’s no need to stick to a Mastodon-powered service specifically.

Servers - Mastodon and https://instances.social/ can present some jumping-on points, but there’s thousands out there that might not be listed that are waiting for you to discover them.

11 Likes

Now do Ozymandias from Watchmen!

8 Likes

Right away as a matter of fact:

Chief Executive Parag Agrawal, Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal and Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s head of legal policy, received a “golden parachute” clause in Twitter’s TWTR merger with Musk’s X Holdings. Musk reportedly fired all three Thursday evening upon officially taking control of the social network in a $44 billion acquisition, and will be obligated to give more than $204 million of it to those three, according to Twitter’s filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Agrawal, Segal and Gadde own roughly 1.2 million shares of Twitter, more than half of that a $34.8 million stake owned by Gadde. The trio’s roughly $65 million stake would be purchased by Musk like any other shareholder’s stock.

Additionally, a clause in the merger agreement provided accelerated vesting of promised future stock compensation — and that’s where the biggest chunk of money comes in. The “Golden Parachute Compensation” clause in Twitter’s SEC filing — which was the deal approved by Twitter shareholders — shows the trio would automatically vest stock worth $119.6 million as severance if terminated, with the largest payout there going to Agrawal at $56 million.

They’re also entitled to a year’s salary and health benefits. In 2021, Agrawal had a base pay of $623,000, while Segal and Gadde’s base pay was $600,000 each.

In total, Gadde is set to walk away from Twitter with the biggest haul: Nearly $74 million. Agrawal and Segal aren’t far behind her, though, at roughly $65 million and $66 million, respectively.

15 Likes

This and everything you said is true, but I just don’t want to be involved in helping that man make money.

10 Likes