Elon Musk uses Twitter to tell Independents: "Vote for a Republican"

Which is funny though because it seems like “oh no, if a tyrant is elected how do we stop them” is pretty much the entire point of how the American government was designed? Like, it sure wasn’t making sure everyone was treated equally or anything.

17 Likes

Like any system of checks and balances it only works if a critical mass of people uphold their sworn duties to stop said tyrants. For example, voting to impeach and remove an Executive who leads an attempted coup against the United States.

At the end of the day democratic systems of government can only endure when the people actually want them to endure.

30 Likes

This is a campaign finance violation.

20 Likes

It’s been flawed since the beginning and as a republic has always relied on “honest and fair” participants. Holding democracy in high regard was the only guardrail and now it’s no longer revolting to threaten to break our democracy. Once those words had been uttered and the country became desensitized to these antics and even treating them as legitimate and worthy of analysis, the flood gates opened and behavior that would have once gotten you thrown in prison or at least pushed to the extreme margins, now gets you a ton of uneducated and easily duped sycophants to give you the appearance of representing legitimate concerns, when most of those concerns are fraud and are in fact a smokescreen for authoritarian power and control.

It’s unimaginable how much work we have to do to clean up this mess and regretfully it’s going to require a pretty radical retrofit of the democratic norms we’ve operated by.

9 Likes

I know. It just kind of feels like if this is how well it actually works, maybe it would have been better not to have all the levers that actually allow minority rule…like for instance the electoral college. Instead people keep imagining the founders somehow knew more about democracy than we do now.

14 Likes

Incredible stuff. He’s the CEO of five different companies. The Twitter take over is probably a relief to his other business partners as it will mean he has less time to fuck-up their own endeavors.

Anyway, I deleted all of my accounts. All the twitter drama I care to read will show up in other social media platforms.

23 Likes

MUH TAXES

16 Likes

… a 44 billion dollar donation?

19 Likes

Undocumented, unreported.

12 Likes

… is he?

I suppose it would be rude to call him an “illegal”

10 Likes

The more I learn about it, the better it seems. I hadn’t realize just HOW distributed the distribution is. I’m actually considering spinning up my own instance in the near future, just a small server for myself, the wife, and a few others. But, like most things I goof around with it would be more of a proof of concept and chance to learn the tech more than something I really need to do.

11 Likes

He’s managed to drag down the market cap of TSLA by $400billion since April. His investors can’t be happy about that.

I don’t think the stock will rebound from that, either. He’s got increased competition and a global recession, not to mention alienating his market segment of affluent buyers looking to make a statement about the environment. He hasn’t pivoted his production to really grab the coal-roller and Truck Nutz demographic, or really any price-conscious group.

15 Likes

For election day and the rest of the month: No-musk November. Don’t use twitter, don’t buy Tesla, and don’t respond to the little Napoleon.

12 Likes

“second largest investor in this twitter acquisition was the Saudis”

I can’t wait to hear what they expect in return for their investment, I’m sure it’s not financial gain.

16 Likes

Or, to paraphrase Kim Stanley Robinson, an anarchist that wants police protection from his slaves.

17 Likes

From over here in Brexitland, I might concur with this one because our 2016 was a bit horrific as well.

12 Likes

Then roll it back to before Vlad created and directed the Syria refugee crisis against western politics.

13 Likes

Let’s not forget ol’ Verizion guy Ajit Pai FCC chairman who fucked with the internet

10 Likes

So freakin’ true that.

4 Likes

Is Fox News a campaign finance violation? Because it would be difficult to explain why the Republican party still has a death-grip on American politics without taking into account decades of free advertising that they’ve had from Fox.

Of course, if challenged, Rupert Murdoch would point out that Fox is a profitable business, something that may not necessarily be true of Elon’s Twitter.

9 Likes